Artichoke Dip help needed.

I am making the classic hot artichoke dip recipe for a large group on Sunday…Chopped artichokes, Parmesan cheese and mayo. Some versions of the recipe add jalapenos, but I’ve never had it that way and I’m not a fan of jalapenos. At a bridal fair the other day, I had a taste of a version of the dip that was way better than the wonderfulness of the classic recipe…but of course the caterers wouldn’t discuss their recipe. And it didn’t taste like jalapenos were the addition.

So how do you make artichoke dip?

I got a recipe from some people who grew olives and they, of course, added sliced pimiento stuffed olives. It’s good and gives it some color.

I have two versions. One uses sour cream, mayo, and Parmesan and one uses cream cheese, mayo, mozzarella and Parmesan. Then there is a spinach-artichoke dip which is similar…

But I have a feeling that the wonderfulness you were tasting, if it was similar to the classic recipe was using sour cream and cream cheese in there somewhere.

That sounds good…sour cream or cream cheese are the ingredients that make everything better! I might try adding cream cheese, since it gets baked…afraid the sour cream might separate. Proportions?

I second the green olives.

I don’t know…green olives just seems a bit harsh tasting. Maybe the fact that this time I’m using freshly grated Parmesan instead of the powder in a can will help.

I add green onion to mine.

The sour cream never separates in my baked artichoke dip…I never even considered that but I hate mayonnaise and sour cream; artichoke dip is one of the few things I will actually use either in, so I don’t have a lot of experience cooking with sour cream. ;). I usually use equal parts sour cream and mayo. Or if using cream cheese…one block of cream cheese (8 oz.) to one cup of mayonnaise (or one block of cream cheese, 1/2 cup mayo, 1/2 cup sour cream).

A few capers, squeeze the juice out and then chop them up.

I use fresh Parmesan and Romano, a bit of lemon juice, a bit of crushed garlic and just the slightest innuendo of Tabasco or Crystal to wake it up a little. I also use half cream cheese and half sour cream/mayo.