Honduras: Who's correct?

The right never met a military dictator or coup they didn’t like. You’re wasting your breath.

BTW it seems that the referendum was going to be a failure any how.

As another doper mentioned: “democracy is not for sissies”

There is monumental cowardice in not waiting for elections to get rid of bad politicians. Specially when they know that they control the army, congress and the courts.

And I have to say that arresting and making the opposition disappear (this is Honduras, and I was not born yesterday) means that human rights will go to the toilet unless all nations oppose what the new “government” does.

Not matter what the cause or reason, it is never a good thing when a country’s military establishment acts as an independent political force in its own right. Unfortunately, that seems to be the norm throughout Latin America and has been since independence.

As news are hard to get, looking at the alternatives, here is a report that tells me that even the “unanimous” support of the Honduras congress for the coup to be a lie.

http://narcosphere.narconews.com/notebook/kristin-bricker/2009/06/correction-honduran-presidential-candidate-still-alive

And what the opposition and intra-party dissidents had to do was get their act together and mobilize assertively to put up a strong, loud, unified No-To-Zelaya front so as to defeat or discredit his poll, and then defeat or badly weaken him at the general election.

But it looks like the opposition was not really unified under any coherent leadership and strategy; and besides that the Congressional opponents did not think they could put together the votes to impeach ('cause if they had the votes, they probably would have impeached); so instead they turned to the old school alternative.

Now Zelaya will be a “victim” and if not him, some proxy from his faction will rally not just his supporters but also forces from other parties who reject putschism, and create an eventual victory for his policies. Great job, guys.

Usually, on times like this, the corporate media is unreliable.

With some caveats I do recommend Al Giordano’s Narconews* for more accurate reports and incisive opinion

http://narcosphere.narconews.com/thefield/américa-held-hostage-day-two-coup-honduras

• (News on the dumb war of drugs (and do not ignore that there are elements of this in the current coup))

Then which side are the narcotrafficantes – Zelaya, or the oligarchy-and-military?

I’m trying to find out the origins of the one-term limit on presidential administrations - no luck so far, but finding this article brings a couple of interesting points up:

The ploy of claiming Zelaya resigned has already fallen through; how’s the army going to spin this one?

It does sound like Zelaya was playing with fire on this particular issue, but that hardly justifies a military coup. Again, the poll that was supposed to occur today was a non-binding one to determine if a referendum would be held alongside the November elections; even if Zelaya won the poll and the referendum, amending the term-limit provision would still have to be approved by the Constitutional Assembly. Given the opposition he faced before the coup, I don’t believe even that would have been a sure thing.

As I understand it, the Honduran Constitution explicitly forbids the president from even advocating a change in the presidential term limit. Does anyone have insight on this?

I don’t exactly have a dog in the fight, but I’m leaning against Zelaya.

IMHO the narcos got to corrupt all, but it is clear that there are several rich people that are involved in the drug trafficking. It is like in El Salvador where the media there blames the “maras” for the trafficking, the problem is, as some reporters noticed, that it is ridiculous to think that rabble like that are the ones moving millions if not billions of dollars in drugs. Central America is the bridge for the drugs that come from South America to the USA.

Just a few months ago In El Salvador the left won the presidency. As less corrupt leaders in El Salvador are taking over (yes, I’m not naive, drugs can eventually corrupt anything) many high end level drug contacts are biting the dust, There were a couple of members of the right wing party that “killed” themselves when it became clear that the corruption was going to come out.

As more eyes are now looking for high end corruption in El Salvador the drug cartels can look forward now to have a heaven in Honduras. There will be little or no oversight so the corruption will go way up.

As mentioned, going against the coup plotters does not mean that Zelaya will be reinstated. The coup was still a crime.

It’s interesting how things play out. When George Bush was President many actions taken throughout his Presidency were seen as attempts by Bush to make himself a “dictator” through legislation or executive order.

When leftist Presidents in Latin America actually do this, and are clearly trying to make themselves dictators, the left cheers them on.

A Constitution is only so valuable, as Thomas Jefferson said:

He also said:

Sometimes outright, illegal revolution is the only answer acceptable. No matter how “legal” any form of government which systematically works to enshrine a despite is one that has no moral ground on which to stand.

Did Anybody on “teh left” call for the military to depose Bush?, I think they called for his impeachment, perhaps if the honduran Congress had impeached him and “teh left” protested you’ll have a point.

Coups are always “justified” by their perpetrators in some way; the vast majority of the time they say that the previous government was corrupt and needed to be replaced. This time, they got a little more sophisticated. They are trying very hard to maintain a facade that the removal of the president was not a coup despite it looking very much like one by claiming that there was legal authority behind their actions.

It’s really hard to be against a coup when they are clearly taking out someone who is attempting as hard as he can to be legally elected president-for-life or similar. But the military removing the president (and not making him stand trial) when there is not direct constitutional justification is going to be widely condemned by countries in favor of all changes occurring through the rules of law.

The way I see it is that, in a lot of countries, the military serves as a fourth branch of government and acts as a check against an overreaching executive branch. This is especially true in countries where the military officers tend to be composed of the nation’s best and brightest while the voters are poor and uneducated. Zelaya, the ousted president, was attempting to violate the Honduran constitution by staying in office longer than he was allowed to. The Honduran supreme court has ruled that the military acted in accordance with the Honduran constitution, and in fact it was the supreme court which authorized the coup in the first place.

Just because the United States doesn’t have an independent military doesn’t mean it’s a bad system for other countries, unfortunate as it may be. So I give Obama a big thumbs down for trying to put Zelaya back in power. In fact, I’d go so far as to say that Obama is a fool who is working against the interests of both the United States and the people of Honduras.

No doubt, he will be crushed to hear that he has lost your whole-hearted support and admiration.

Seriously… Quoting an op-ed for facts? Especially when authored by a member of the Wall Street Journal Editorial Board?

I think it’s permissible to lean against both. This isn’t an either/or proposition. It’s Giant Douche and Turd Sandwich, but Turd Sandwich jumped the gun and didn’t allow the process to play out like he should have.

:dubious: How many instances can you name in modern history where the military, acting as an independent domestic political force, has been a beneficial force?

That is the way dictators see it.

And? That is not a reason to make a coup against him, you impeach him or put him on trial.

Lets see if you can come out of that propaganda shell.

Can you explain how it was that because the president was doing something illegal (granted) he was removed from office and expelled from the country instead of being tried for his crimes? Unless you can show me that was the order of the court you are only finding excuses for a bigger crime.

A crime that includes closing opposition newspapers and radio, jailing and scaring opposition members, and just by remembering the history of the place: setting the stage to let death squads run unopposed.

And ideas like that then gives others a good reason to propose laws to expel un-americans that do not understand history or civics.

But I will not be the one proposing that, many right wingers would love it though.