Hoot Mon, It's Tea Time

For reasons, I need to have an idea of what brands / styles of tea are popular in Scotland.

As in the stuff they actually drink, not necessarily something named Scottish- whatever.

Thenk ye uncoly!

Keep in mind that I lived in Scotland from 1978 to 1979, so things may have changed, but most everyone I knew drank Typhoo. It was okay, but nothing special.

That makes things easier, as that is the brand I keep in my desk at work to open my eyes in the afternoon. People here have gotten accustomed to seeing my round tea bags. (heh!)

If it helps at all, my Welsh neighbor swears by PG Tips and Yorkshire Gold. Says everyone in South Wales is loyal to one or the other.

I find PG Tips sorta “meh,” but Yorkshire Gold is one of my favorites.

I don’t know about Scotland, but Barry’s is the best IMHO.

I’m currently drinking Barry’s Irish Breakfast! Tell me, should I try Barry’s Gold? Is it better than the regular Irish Breakfast?

Hey, Uke! (I’ve been using my percolator. :wink: ) I like both varieties of Barry’s. I have a box of each and go back and forth between them. Barry’s Gold has a bright flavor that beats Typhoo, PG Tips, and Yorkshire Gold (IMHO).

We drink all sorts of tea up here. My go-to tea is Yorkshire, but I also have Darjeeling, Earl Grey, and Lapsang Souchon. There’s a local speciality tea (and coffee) shop, Macbeans, who might be able to discuss relative preferences.

According to this, it’s overwhelmingly Tetley’s:

[quote]
That being said, everyday black tea still accounts for the majority of tea sales. Tetley says shoppers expect to see familiar brands. Quoting Nielsen to 3 January this year the firm says the top selling tea brands in Scotland are: Tetley with 47% of sales value, PG with 6%, and Yorkshire Tea with 5%./

[quote]

I’ve tried most blends of Irish and UK tea in my time and IMHO Barry’s Gold Blend is the best and the stuff that I drink everyday.

I expected Tetley to be the biggest seller, but not by that margin!

I drink that cheapo brand from Lidl coz I’m povo but yeah Barry’s Gold Blend is very nice.

‘…because I’m provo…’

Say what?

From context, “impoverished.”

No r present, “povo” = as (DrFidelius corrected gauged) “impoverished”.

I took that to mean, “I’m IN Provo (Utah),” i.e., Mormon. <shrug>

Ok, not really.

The “r” really changes the meaning…

Yeah, sorry about the ‘r’ !

But, to be honest, ‘povo’ baffled me equally!

(And I typed that three times as my autocorrect kept changing it to Provo !)

[quote=“Stanislaus, post:9, topic:745846”]

According to this, it’s overwhelmingly Tetley’s:

[quote]
That being said, everyday black tea still accounts for the majority of tea sales. Tetley says shoppers expect to see familiar brands. Quoting Nielsen to 3 January this year the firm says the top selling tea brands in Scotland are: Tetley with 47% of sales value, PG with 6%, and Yorkshire Tea with 5%./

Tetley, on THIS side of the pond, has a British Blend available, it is highly recommended.