Hooters restaurant.

What does the female community think of Hooters. I watched a commercial the other day where Hooters was actually showing a “family” eating at Hooters. Please, if I am happily married, and we are thinking of a place to eat,

WIFE: It’s Friday night, where should we go eat with our two young children? Chili’s, Applebeas, Mexican food, Italian food.

ME: Hey, what about Hooters! They have good food, and definately service that is twice as best as the rest.

WIFE: Hooters! What a wonderful idea.

Feh. I don’t think so.

How come no feminist group ever picketed Hooters? I mmean with that owl mascot, isn’t it obvious enough to everyone what the draw is?

Let us say an ugly fat woman with many years of restaurant experience applies at a Hooters with a cute 19 year old sweet thing with big Hooters. Who would they hire? Now, would the ugly woman have a case of discrimination against this company? Supposedly a dude several years ago tried to get a job serving for a Hooters and was turned down (small hooters I guess) and he sued. What became of that case anyway?

I think Hooters is tasteless. I am sure the founders of this company were two geeks with small penises and a big idea. (Maybe two of them actually). What is everyone’s take on this wonderful restaurant?

Reasonably attractive waitresses. Mediocre food.

If I want the real deal, I’ll go to a noon buffet at a gentleman’s club.

I presume Hooters is for people who, for one reason or another, cannot do so.

It is the tenth largest full service restaurant chain in the country, with revenues of $750 million. They have 342 locations.

The EEOC Suit regarding the refusal to hire men, filed in 1995, was later dropped, I do not know why. Feminist groups (NOW HAVE picketed Hooters. The waitresses came out to serve them doughnuts and coffee.

Personally, I don’t much like their wings, but I love the ham and cheese sandwich.

Cannot do what? Grow hooters?

Ohh… cannot go to a gentlemen’s club. Gotcha.

Let me do a checklist, here…

Scantily clad women? Check on both.

Lapdances? Yea for club, nay for Hooters

Expensive drinks? Yea for club, nay for Hooters

Cleanliness? Nay for club, yea for Hooters*

Geez, they don’t even STRIP**! The two businesses aren’t comparable!
*Your neighborhoood restaurant may vary, as may your club. It just seems to me that there are more dirty clubs than dirty Hooters.

**On the other hand, maybe they’ll serve a New York Strip Steak.

Besides, when you go into a club, you can at least convince yourself that a particular employee wants you. You can’t convince anyone else, but you can convince yourself, what with the dimmed lights and conscience. But at Hooters, unless you’re on some kind of hallucinogen that purty waitress won’t even wink atcha. They don’t want to encourage you (unlike at the club)!

I don’t want to make it seem like Hooters = wonderfulness for all, because it’s not for everyone. But I do feel a heck of a lot safer and more comfortable there than I do at clubs.

I don’t think they’d deny that; I think they kinda revel in their tastelessness.

I’ve been to Hooters twice: once just to see what it was like, and once with a couple of female friends (it was their idea) who have an appreciation for wings (the chicken kind) and breasts (the human kind). It was… okay. Just another sports-bar-type restaurant, with slightly more flirtatious and provocatively dressed waitstaff.

My wife has suggested Hooters more than once. I’ve went there with the kids a few times, and routinely see entire families there. Decent wings, good sandwiches, and oysters in a clean place for a fair price. It isn’t the best food, but it’s better than a lot of other places.

The waitresses all have large racks and wear tight shorts? Big deal. Women here wear more revealing clothing at the grocery store.

The EEOC suit was taken care of with an “out-of-court settlement” (i.e. free money handout) to the idiots who sued. Also, there are now guys working at Hooters as “support” (busboys and garbage-taker-outers).

My girlfriend takes me to Hooters about once a week so we can both ogle hot babes and eat greasy food. I see plenty of families with kids there. Tough break if you have a wife who will only go to Chili’s or Applebee’s.

From the Hooter’s website:

I seem to recall their slogan as being something like “Tasteless yet unrefined.” They also used to refer to themselves as “Nearly famous”, but they might have to change that one. Hooter’s is from my hometown, Clearwater, not far from Clearwater Beach. In that environment it is, sort of, a family place, in that you’ll see much more skin at the beach. For a while there were a lot of “hot dog ladies” selling weiners by the side of the road dressed only in thongs. Nowadays there are an increasing number of adult businesses. In the Midwest, where I am now, it’s considered a bit more salacious, yet safe versus a strip club or Hustler Hollywood. (Which is a “brand” that was launched near my current “hometown”)

Net, they’ve done a good job of walking the fine line between raunchy and tasteful, just enough to grab lots of publicity. Would I want my daughter to work in one (when she’s older)? no. Would it be the end of the world if she did? no.

Sorry, their slogan is “Delightfully tacky, yet unrefined”. I guess the words tasteless wouldn’t go to well in a restaurant slogan, although some of their food might be well described that way. The last time I was at a Hooter’s I did have a decent fish sandwich though.

I’ve never been to Hooter’s, so I really don’t have an opinion about the place. It’s slogans and commercials don’t appeal to me, but then I’m not their target audience, either (female, married, small kids).

Hey, RTA, if “the idiots who sued” got some bucks, maybe they weren’t total idiots.

IIRC Hooters has been picketed in various places. Where I live (Saugus, Mass.) Hooters has been trying to open a restaurant for a couple of years. The town government keeps refusing their requests. Partly it’s because the town wants to keep away from even the suggestion of anything unwholesome (long story). The next town to the north along Route One has a stripper bar and an adult sex store, but Hooters doesn’t want to be there, possibly for the same reason.

I’ve been to a few Hooters, mostly down south. They seem clean and well-managed, and a little tacky, but that’s their shtick. I always found the waitresses a bit scrawny and not at all “stacked”, to tell you the truth, although they do wear tight shorts. You’d have more of a case protesting a Vegas bar on grounds of sexism than a Hooters.

If you really want something worth ogling, go to a Renaissance Fair. But nobody ever pickets those.

Went there once, they had surprisingly good wings, in actuality the best wings from a chain store I’ve ever had!

Not at the Hooters I have gone to. I had the most awful experience in one about a year ago. My business partner and I were out on a sales call and the client asked if we wanted to grab some lunch. It’s 3 males and me and they turn into Hooters. Not wanting to make a big deal out of it I didn’t say anything.

We went in and were seated. Our waitress spent LOTS of time hanging all over my partner, resting her breasts on our client’s back as she reached across him to get something off the table. She stood with her back to me and inserted herself between me and my partner so she could help him adjust his napkin. :rolleyes:

It was tasteless. It was tacky and the food wasn’t that great.

I also witnessed one gentleman there who obviously was a regular. The manager was sending girls out to his table off and on to sit and talk to him. I specifically heard one girl telling the manager he was creepy and she didn’t want to sit at his table and he told her he was an excellent tipper.

I wouldn’t go to Hooters again if someone were to pay me.

We’ve been to a Hooters I think twice. I thought the food was pretty good; the wings were delicious and the wairtress amazed and astounded us by expertly plucking the bone right from the center of the meat. Had some oysters and soemthing else as a meal that was pretty tasty. The tackiness just helps keep the environment relaxed.

As for the women, I think it’s cool how they will sit and bullshit with you, but I honestly have a hard time looking at them, not because they look so good, but because the uniform colors threaten to scorth my eyes from their sockets.

As for a “gentlman’s club” … does this mean strip club, or am I missing something? I’ve only ever been to a strip club once, and it called itself a gentleman’s club. There was no good food and BYO alcohol, so I saw nothing that really impressed me (well there was one dancer in particular was was extremely charismatic and was a fantastic dancer, but the rest was just “eh.”)

Aries28, did you post about that experience before? It sounds eerily familiar. Sorry it happened to you, too.

I’d go (female, not married, no kids), but that’s only because I know that if they’ve got a good chief the food can be pretty dang good.

(The one at Aloha Tower in Honolulu was that way: great view of the water, good food for the price, free refills on soda, good music, and it was funny to watch the Japanese businessmen getting their pictures taken with the waitressess. However, the last time I was there was in '95 so of course, things may have changed since then.)

Also, I’d go to a Hooters before I went to an Applebee’s.

(And I agree with CalMeacham: if you want to ogle, go to a RenFaire.)

<< If a pig flies, don’t criticize it for not being up that long! >>

Aries28.

I went there once to see what it was about. My experience was very similar to yours. Oh, except you should have seen the way the waitress cleaned the bottle of Ketchup. I’ll leave that to your imagination.

It made me laugh because Hooters also sells clothing. Among said clothing is a onesie for babies. Fat chance in hell my kid would wear that.

Yep…good memory. Someone started a thread a few months ago asking if they should work in a Hooters and what people thought about it. I can’t remember who it was though…

I am by no means a prude but it was just plain old embarrassing being there.

And before anybody pops in with the “you’re just jealous of those beautiful girls”…trust me…I’m not. I could wear the tank top and little shorts in a New York minute but my dignity keeps me from it. Again, my persception is from ONE visit ONE time to ONE particular Hooters. I am certain they all aren’t as bad as the one I went to. I’m sure some of them are perfectly nice, but as for me, not a chance of going to one ever again. I felt like I was watching a pimp send out hookers to the patrons.

It was just icky.

I don’t think it’s a dignity issue for most; it’s more of an “I’m a hetero female and therefore find nothing appealing about scantily clad women” issue. Don’t you agree?

I know that if there were actually a place where scantily clad men were the waiters, and I got dragged in by female business associates, I’d be most uncomfortable.

Forget the restaurant. Can someone explain this to me?!

(This is a real airline, as far as I can tell. They have a ticket counter at BWI airport.)