Hospitalized for exhaustion?

This question isn’t really about Dave Chappelle per se, but in this article it says that Chappelle was hospitalized for exhaustion. He was admitted for 12 hours and was given “food, water, and sleep” there.

What does this mean exactly? Why couldn’t he get food, water, and sleep at home? Why did he have to go to the hospital for this? Or does “exhaustion” have some medical meaning here that I don’t know? I notice this often happens in tandem with denials of drug use. Is that just sensationalism on the part of the press, or is it a common cover up reason for a celebrity’s admission? Do non-famous folks ever go to the hospital for exhaustion?

I hope to get factual answers, thus placing it in GQ. If the thread doesn’t go that way, I guess it’ll get moved. Thanks.

I’m eagerly awaiting an answer to this question. I’ve wondered about it for a long time. Could I be admitted to a hospital for a week or so and get food, water, and sleep and have my insurance pay for it? After all, I am exhausted.

After a little bit of digging, I found on wikipedia that there is a medical term, fatigue, to describe this.

I googled ‘hospitalized fatigue’ and found plenty of news stories on people being hospitalized for just that.

The question is how many of those people were hospitalized for other less savory reasons and their publicity flacks sugar-coated the situation by telling the papers that it was for “exhaustion.”

“Some” is a certainty. What we don’t know is whether “some” is “most.”

I’ve never seen anyone with an admitting diagnosis of exhaustion. OTOH, I’ve never been involved with the admission of anyone that had a public profile.

Slate attempts an answer:
http://www.slate.com/id/2170652/fr/rss/

It seems more like what I’d call a nervous breakdown.

Sometimes people can become so stressed out that they become overly anxious and panicky. Anxiety attacks can even feel like heart attacks. That’s why a lot of people end up in the ER with this condition. Often what they need is nourishment, a quiet place and good sound sleep. Sometimes they are given a sedative to help them sleep.

Celebrities sometimes keep very hectic irregular schedules that can lead to a lot of stress and poor eating and sleeping habits. If they are also prone to anxiety attacks, then they may end up in an ER with “exhaustion.” Essentially, that is exactly what is wrong with them. It doesn’t happen just to celebrities though. They’re just the ones that get written about.

This is just one possible answer to your question.

IANADr., but I suspect that dehydration is the culprit in some cases. Blood pressure drops, you feel extreme energy loss. I also agree w/ Zoe, that stress can result in panic attacks. Back in the 70’s I was in a high pressure situation, job, politics, marriage, too many balls in the air. I had several panic attacks over a period of a couple of months, very scary, but not life threatening, even though it feels that way. Age must also be a factor, as we grow older the body, and the brain, grow less tolerant of our excesses.

We do not use “exhaustion” as a medical diagnosis except for specific circumstances such as heat exhaustion (a sort of “not quite heat stroke” diagnosis).

It’s more likely the patient was taken to the Hospital for whatever reason, kept under observation for a period of time, and released. Absent a pathologic or politically acceptable diagnosis to apply, “exhaustion” is benign and vague enough to apply.

It is possible to be so overwhelmingly ill from dehydration/cold/underlying illness etc that you cannot hydrate or feed yourself but these sorts of cases are seldom that.

maybe he just had the worst case of diarrhea/food poisoning on record as I did and needed the hospital to recover from dehydration.

I always thought it was a codeword for drug overdose or addiction.