Hot dogs

What’s the difference between franks (frankfurters/Frankfurter Wurst) and wieners (Wienerwurst)?

And speaking of Wienerwurst, ‘wieners’ (hot dogs) is short for Wienerwurst. Wienerwurst means ‘Vienna sausage’. In the U.S. ‘Vienna sausages’ are miniature mush-tubes that come in a broth-filled tin. What’s the relationship between ‘wiener’ Wienerwurst and ‘Vienna sausage’ Wienerwurst?

Far as I know, they’re interchangeable and it’s probably a regional/cultural thing. I noticed that in Minnesota/Wisconsin, they seemed to call sausages “brats”, regardless of the type. In Europe, obviously, the names have a different significance (as pointed out with frankfurter and wiener). But a hotdog is a weiner is a frankfurter in the US, only the composition being up for grabs. The only difference that I might concede is that generally the ones made from beef are marketed as ‘beef franks’.

“all beef wieners” seems to be a common term, too, from my perspective.

I would agree that in the US, “hot dog”, “frankfurter” and “wiener” all mean the same thing.

“Wienies”, of course, can have a completely different context, as can the term “hotdog”. “Let’s be frank” can also be taken as someone wanting both parties to be tube steaks. I can see the root of Johnny L.A.'s confusion. In my present world, ‘wienies’ are Air Force personnel, and on occasion I’ve had the surreal experience of seeing a wienie eat a hotdog.

[minor hijack]

If you ever are actually in Wien (Vienna) you MUST visit one of the many Wurstlestanden (lit. Sausage Stand) and order a “Hot Dog”. The counter person will take a small baguette, slice off the tip, and skewer it on a large heated spike to warm. The sausage of your choice (I recommend Paprikawurst if available, else Kaesakraner (sp?) ) will be inserted into this loaf, along with the mustard of your choosing (sweet or spicy). This is the food of the gods. Oh, if you get the Kaeskraner be careful of the chunks of napalm like molten cheese contained therein.

[/hijack]

I was in Wien once, and I missed the pleasure.

Even better are the ones you buy in Marseilles. They add french fries to the baguette/sausage sandwich.

Johnny L.A.: sorry to have made light of your question, but am feeling buoyant this first day of the new year. I really don’t believe there is a difference between the dogs, at least not in the US.

It seems that frankfurters, wieners and hot dogs are all the same thing in the U.S. But ‘Vienna Sausages’ (in the U.S.) are something else entirely – in spite of the fact that ‘wiener’ comes from ‘Wienerwurst’, which literally means ‘Vienna sausage’. So something diverged somewhere.

Going back further, Frankfurter Wurst came from Frankfurt, Germany and Wienerwurst came from Vienna, Austria. Are (the original) ‘franks’ and ‘wieners’ the same thing, only called differently in different places? Or are they different?

Well, a schnitzel is pretty much a schnitzel, whether it’s Wiener, Pariser, or some other. The only thing that seems to change is what comes with the dish. So perhaps in the original it was the spicing from different regions that distinguished them.

Vienna sausage as we know it is not food, IMO. Ranks down there with potted meat product.

Bah! You obviously don’t know the joys of eating Vienna sausage and saltines while drinking a Sun-drop and fishing.

Fish love Vienna sausages, by the way.

Yeah, and they also like worms and E-Z Cheese. That doesn’t make 'em food.
And I agree, the *Wurstlestanden *are among the many reasons to visit Vienna.

I don’t know what the difference between Franks and Weiners is. They are pretty interchangeable to me. I have to disagree with Chefguy though. In Wisconsin “brats” are bratwurst nothing else.