hot water heater

Well, despite what I had surmised, what had actually happened to our hot water is that one of our two hot water heaters was leaking and shorting out, and both were on the same circuit. I did not even think to look.

Now I am trying to replace the leaking unit. It is a Bradford White TTW1, model no.:MITW50l6CX10, serial number ML5623981 48 gallon unit. The plumber quoted around 2,000 installed, for what he called the exact same unit. He did not want to break down the costs, but eventually said that the unit itself was around 1,500. This seemed really high. I tried looking online at Home Depot, Lowes, and Sears, but could not find a power vented unit. Is that because they don’t carry them, or because I did not know how to look? And where might I look for a variety of power vented units so I can shop features and costs?

Are you looking at gas heaters with an electrical powered vent?

Hot water doesn’t need heating.*

I almost posted that it is a water heater not a hot water heater but I didn’t.

Right, it is a water heater. Don’t know why I keep calling it hot water heater.

Yes, the exhaust vent has an electric motor.

FWIW, around $2000 is about what you’d pay for a high efficiency water heater, in most locales. Of course, YMMV, and prices are bound to fluctuate by region.

But…we install these units and that price is about right. Bradford White is well made and American made.

IMO/IME (and echoed by many of my colleagues) I would avoid Whirlpool.

You might try a couple more plumbers but my guess is that they will be relatively close in price.

If your hot water needs are that high, you might look at a tankless heater at that price. In general, I find them over hyped and over priced for the average home use, but you may have a case for one.

No Bradford White fan here.

I just looked at a 50 gallon high efficiency unit and it was $1400. If you pick it up and remove the old unit it shouldn’t cost $600 to install a new unit.

We opted for a tankless water heater when ours sprung a leak last month. It’s basically hot water on demand as opposed to having a volume of water already heated.

The reason was cost. The cheapest new tank would have set us back nearly $1500.

To switch to tankless? Around $400, including labor.

The drawback is the size of your hosuehold. There’s only two of us, so a tankless makes more sense than, say if we had kids and were doing laundry every single day.

Because that’s what many, many people call it. “Hot water heater” is a fine thing to call the thing if that’s what people call the thing. (Googling “hot water heater” leads to 3 million results. Besides, your hot water system has many components: a hot water tap, hot water pipes, hot water heater… the “hot” survives because in the language because it is helps understanding. The phrase “water heater” is not specific enough for such a rarely referenced object, so extra context helps communication.)

$400 for a tankless? Are you talking about one of the small ones that mounts near your sink? A full-on house-sized tankless heater is usually much more expensive than that.