Hotmail lockout - too many incorrect login attempts

How long until Hotmail lets you try again?

My room mate changed her password on Thursday night. On Friday, she didn’t remember it. She tried using the secret question to reset the password, but she’d also been moving around a lot and is not sure what state and zip code is associated with her hotmail address at this point.

Long story short, she’d tried incorrect passwords enough times, and also supplied incorrect state/zipcode combos enough times, that she wouldn’t even be able to get into hotmail with the right password now. Any time she’s tried again with the secret question and a different state/zip combo, she still gets the “LOCKED OUT: TRY AGAIN LATER” message. How long should she wait before another attempt?

And no, she doesn’t have a backup e-mail address associated with that account. And honestly… no, I’m not trying to hack into anybody’s account. My roomie’s been locked out for nearly two days now and, while recognizing that there’s some bad planning involved on her part, is starting to freak out.

Just keep trying. I’ve had it for anywhere from a few minutes to a few days. (Apparently somebody keeps trying to log in to my account and it just ends up blocking me, the real owner.)

She MIGHT try clearing her cookies or using a different browser if she’s making all the access attempts from the same computer, but I don’t know if Hotmail actually takes that into account.

She can also try emailing Microsoft (who runs Hotmail).

Also, I don’t know if this is applicable, but she can toggling between “Sign in using enhanced security” and “Sign in using standard security”. For some reason, sometimes one or the other would immediately bypass the wait time for me.