Hottest pepper on earth

I really want to know the hottest pepper in existence. Some say the habanero. I have heard stories from sailors in south-east asia claiming to have tasted a pepper that would make a habanero look like candy, but then again these are just stories. Peppers are rated on a scale of scoville units. A habanero is rated at up to 300,000. Pure Capsaicin (stuff that makes peppers hot) is at 16,000,000. The Peppers I’ve heard stories about I would guess would have to be at the 400,000 level. Can anybody tell me what the hottest pepper is? Or tell me what this mystery asian pepper is.

GUWAHATI, India (Reuters) – The hottest chilli on earth is Indian.

Four Indian scientists have discovered that a type of chilli grown in the country’s northeast has the highest Scoville units of pure capsaicin – a measure of hotness. Called the Tezpur chilli, after the area where it is grown, scientists say the pepper has beaten Mexico’s Red Savina Habanero, widely acclaimed as the hottest chilli in the world. Tezpur lies on the banks of the river Brahmaputra about 112 miles (180 km) from Guwahati, the main city of Assam, which is better known for its flavorsome tea than its chillies. “The Tezpur chilli was rated having 855,000 Scoville units… the Mexican chilli contained 557,000 Scoville units of pure capsaicin,” one of the scientists, who asked not to be identified, told Reuters. The scientists work in defense laboratories in Guwahati and Gwalior. India is the world’s top producer of chillies, exporting an estimated 35 tons a year.

No cites at the moment, but I’ve heard many times, from many sources, that the habanera, or scotch bonnet, is the hottest pepper. I recall seeing a poster that laid them all out graphically, with their heat index, and had the habanera at the hottest extreme.

There’s a Mexican vendor at Seattle’s Pike Place Market, the best produce market in the WORLD and one of the reasons I moved out here, who sells a red subspecies of (he says) the habanera, which he claims is the hottest variety of habanera. I’ve used both, but they’re both so hot that any difference between them in beyond my ability to distinguish.

Are you looking to try the hottest pepper. From what I’ve read about hottness, the ratio of hottness is something like: The outer part of the pepper is 1 part capsicum, the seeds are 10 parts and the mucus on the bulb in the center is 100 parts capsicum. For some stupid reason I once decided to try the mucus part. I had been eating little peices of the pepper all day at work with some meat and cheese. Anyways I tried a tiny little part of the mucus and it was insanely hot.

Hmmm. Looks like the habanera has been supplanted. Gotta get me some of these Tezpur chilis.

Seeds are available here under the name Naga Jolokia Pepper.

Have you tried the merciless peppers of Quetzlzacatenango? They’re grown deep in the jungle primeval by the inmates of a Guatemalan insane asylum…

If you are looking for some heat I would try the nuclear buffalo wings from Hooters. They are made with Dave’s Insanity sauce, which lists red savina habeneros as the second ingredient. Hard on the stomach, but very good!

Oh good; I’ve been wracking my brain for an excuse to go to Hooters.

The Tezpur chile has been called into question. Check out this site and decide for yourself who you believe.

http://www.fiery-foods.com/dave/assam_chile1.html

What a great site! Thanks, erfrnanendn, um, I mean new poster.

Here’s an update on the Hottest Pepper, the Bhut Jolokia. Looks like it might be “Coming Soon!” to a market near you. Personally, I know I would get violently ill from one, but hopefully some other brave doper will be able to check one of these bad boys out.

Is this pepper, (Bhut Jolokia) naturally this hot?

Could scientists (using genetic engineering) create peppers even HOTTER than the Bhut Jolokia?

Yep, if grown in the right conditions. The same strain of chili pod will vary in hotness depending on where it’s grown. The original Bhut Jolokia pods tested were not particularly good specimens so researchers grew a few generations of specimens in controlled conditions in a hot climate and yielded pods that were even hotter than originally tested. Over 1,000,000 Scoville Units in 2 different tests.

The Bhut Jolokia is a hybrid cross of Capsicum frutescens and Capsicum chinense, so it is a bit of an engineered variety.

But the previous record holder, a Red Savina Habanero, was about twice as hot (500,000+ SU) as the common Red Savina that is normally in the ~250,000 range so it’s possible that an exeptional Bhut Jolokia could theoretically surpass the 2 million SU range. Pure capsaicin is 16 million SU for comparison.

Sorry for the hijack but I doubt this is deserving enough of its own thread: can eating such extremely hot peppers cause any medical/physical problems? Or just a tongue that feels like it’s burning for an extended amount of time?

Hottest pepper:
http://www.ecoseeds.com/Pepper.worlds.hottest.html

If you eat enough, other parts of your body will burn too. (Seriously – the next time you hear of a hot pepper-eating contest, watch the local news interviews with the contestants; they’ll drop hints about the problems they encounter.) It’s also not a good idea to visit the restroom after handling these peppers without first washing your hands really well.

In the WORLD? I don’t know, I visited a mind-boggling produce/seafood/meat market off Las Ramblas in Barcelona in 1994. Is it still there? What was/is it named, I wonder…

You’re probably thinking of La Boqueria just up from the Opera House. A bunch of photos are here.

I’d be happy to have either Pike Place Market or La Boqueria within walking distance…

I, for one, welcome our new, genetically engineered hot pepper overlords! :cool: