How about a thread on pickling and such?

He claims sweet (bread and butter) pickles are the devil, but I wonder if he wants some sugar, now that you mentioned it. At least once he’s said that a recipe was too harsh for the lining of his mouth. He’s a fan of drinking the pickle brine, too, but didn’t drink the ones I made.

I’ve been trying to find these old “classic” canning pickle recipes, and I think he just wants a cleaner recipe.

How do you do a “sun” pickle? I thought the traditional crock recipes that I’ve seen involve a dark, cool basement.

Are you going to make us beg? Okay. Recipe, please!

This is the recipe I’ve used. My mother used to also add a slice of Polish rye bread on top to help speed up the fermentation process. The main thing is to have the right water:salt ratio. If you happen to have sourdough starter around for whatever reason, you can add a teaspoon of it, too, to the brine to help things get moving a little more quickly.

This style of pickle is pretty common throughout the world. I remember staying for a few days at a private residence (kind of a B&B type of thing) in Uzbekistan, and waking up in the morning to see the proprietor lining up jar after jar (like three or four dozen) of pickling cucumbers in the sun to ferment.

My wife went to a pickling class last year, the result of which was one jar of dill and one jar of sweet. I was knocked out by the flavor of the dills and they’ve ruined store-bought pickles for me. Unfortunately, we have to wait until gherkins are back in season before she can make more, so I’ve been suffering with crappy mass-produced brands since last fall. I told her to dedicate one shelf of the fridge to pickles, but I don’t think she’s going for it. :frowning:

Why don’t you can them and dedicate one shelf of the pantry to pickles?

Not exactly pickling, but my brother handed me a load of raspberries. I was thinking about making jam but the berries had actually begun to ferment, so I spent this evening making raspberry coulis and raspberry cordial. I’m not sure if I can wait the recommended month to try the cordial!

Thanks for the recipe. I just bought some beautiful wild sockeye salmon and followed your directions. Only difference was that I also added some fennel greens in addition to the dill. Can’t wait to eat the salmon.