How are you most notably atavistic?

What habits, customs, likes, dislikes, etc. do you have that seem most out of tune with the current era?

For me, it’s the way people address me at work and in business situations. I don’t care for being on a first-name basis with everyone at work. My particular friends should get to call me “Skald,” and only after clearing it with me; likewise, I’d be happier addressing everyone by last name until I’ve requested and received their permission to be informal. It especially vexes me when retail salespeople and the like use my first name right off the bat, as I am not their buddy. With salespeople I enforce my preference; with co-workers, as I obviously can’t change the culture unilaterially, I flip it around by calling my particular friends by their last names.

Anyway, that’s just me. How are you a throwback to a bygone era?

I don’t have TV.
I do own a physical TV set, to play DVDs and video games, but it’s not plugged in the antenna/cable socket, and I’m adamant that it should remain so. Most of the time, when I tell people that I don’t watch TV they get this blank look, then a flicker of understanding in their eyes, and a surge of sympathy : “Oh, your set is broken, poor you !”.

I don’t like answering the phone. Feels like I’m being ringed like a butler or something. Leave a message, and I’ll ring you like a butler when I feel like it. The thing I hate hate hate the most though, is people answering their cell while we’re having a conversation or worse, lunch/dinner. To me, that’s just the rudest thing. Unless you’re a heart surgeon on call, IT CAN FUCKING WAIT.

I like it when people use proper etiquette.

Unless I’m going for a run, am ill or am taking my son to the doctor because he’s ill, I dress before I leave the house. I don’t wear a ballgown to the grocery, but I generally won’t go any sloppier than a nice-fitting pair of jeans, some comfortable but attractive shoes and a decent shirt. Makeup is optional, but I like to wear it.

I think posture is very important. You don’t need to look like you have a stick up your butt or to appear arrogant, but I’m much more likely to think positively about someone who stands up straight, shoulders back and doesn’t scuff into a room. I also feel much better about myself when I stand straight.

I also don’t call people by their first names unless I know them well. I have a very difficult last name, so I’m very quick to tell people to call me by my first name, but it’s nice when people at least try.

When I eat, I like to eat at the table with my family without TV or the radio on. Eating in front of the TV is sometimes nice, but I don’t feel like I can interact much when it’s on. It’s also an unwritten rule that we don’t answer the phone during family meals. If it’s important enough, they’ll leave a message.

Well, generally today’s “must-haves” are on my list of “do-not-wants”. That’s been the case for at least a solid decade if not more. But otherwise, I kind of wish I worked in my granddad’s time. You took your lunch break and went down to the cafeteria, you just did not shove food in your face while sitting at your desk.

You ate dinner at the dinner table with your family and not in front of the television staring at the tube while oblivious to one another.

You wore your “good clothes” to go to the theater.

Some of the aove may have been a bit inconvenient and stuff, but I actually miss conventions that revolved around social niceties and good graces.

• I like to cook the slow way and I don’t own anything more complicated than a hand mixer and a blender.
  • I don’t have a cell phone, Blackberry, iPod or any other little device to interrupt, remind, organize or entertain me when I’m not home. I do own a laptop but I don’t take it out with me unless I’m going to need it for some reason.
  • I went about 13 years without owning a TV set.
  • I still have vinyl albums and a turntable, and hundreds of cassette tapes.
  • We have a leaf blower but I hand sweep the porches, decks and pool area even though it takes much longer.
  • I’d still rather read a paper book than read online.
  • I think that manners are very important and that people should be polite.

I’m with you halfway on the cooking. Though I own the more up to date devices, I prefer to cook without them, because I like cooking and do it to relax. This constantly surprises my sisters, who’ll say, “Why on EARTH would you bake a cake from scratch?” They don’t that the process is the point. (And it’s not like I get to eat the cake anyway. Stupid diabetes.)

Do you call people Mister or Miss Lastname or just Lastname? Lastname actually seems pretty common, although I personally dislike it. It has never occurred to me that it was more formal, just weird. Unlike Mister/Miss Lastname, which is formal or at least unfamiliar.

[ul]
[li]I cook most dishes the “hard” way – I refused to own a microwave for ages, and finally caved only because my husband kept bringing another home when I’d throw it out. Since I even prefer re-heating on the stove, it doesn’t get used often[/li][li]I prefer chivalry. My son knows to hold doors open for women, the aged and the infirm. I like having my chair held while I sit, etc[/li][li]I talk to my kids. I know their friends, and I know their friends’ parents. If they want to spend the night with someone, I must first meet the parent (if we’ve not met before)[/li][li]I call everyone “ma’am” or “sir” – even my kids. I also use all the niceties – please, thank you, excuse me, etc[/li][li]I like exact change. Not just being able to give it for purchases, but being given it when I worked in retail[/li][/ul]

I don’t know how to do text messages, and I’m not particularly interested in learning. I’d learn it if I needed it for work, though.

I hate cell phones. It startles me when a phone rings, and I don’t really like talking on the phone that much. I have a cell phone. But if Mr. Neville calls me too many times a day, I will eventually say “Please don’t call me back” or “The next time you call me, there’d better be blood or fire involved” (depending on my mood)

I have a camera phone, but I don’t use the camera. I hate having my picture taken (I am whatever is the opposite of photogenic), and do not do to others what is hateful to you…

I see no need for a TV larger than about 30".

I hate video. I’m even less telegenic than photogenic, and that’s saying something. I refused to have a video made of my wedding, and I never take videos of anything (I think I could probably do it with my cell if I wanted to). And I’d much rather read an article online than watch a video online.

I’d almost always rather read a book than watch a movie. I have a much easier time telling characters apart in a book (I have a lot of trouble remembering faces, and it’s especially bad if it’s a black-and-white movie so I can’t fall back on things like hair color to tell people apart), and my short-term memory is crap, so I like being able to look back in a book if I’ve forgotten something or my mind has wandered.

I’d rather read a book than read online. I get a headache if I read a computer screen for too long, which I don’t get if I read a book for too long.

I wear glasses. I won’t get contacts or laser surgery. I’ve worn the glasses for so long, and I wear them all the time, so I don’t look like me without glasses.

If you mean at work, I bow to the zeitgeist and use everyone’s first name, except for my friends, whom I refer by their last names.

This rule doesn’t apply to the CEO, whom everyone calls…well, let’s just say they call him Mr. Tibbs.

You threw out microwaves? Let me know if your husband ever comes home with a new one. I’m sure I can help take it off your hands. :wink:

I feel no need to be at the beck and call of a cellphone. Nor to be in constant contact with people. The only time I use my cellphone is when I’m informing someone of something - I don’t chat on it. And I don’t text or surf on it. My phone does not have a camera.

I’d rather like it if we could go back to using last names, although then I would get serious about changing my last name. My mom still calls my dad Mr. Tyger (so do I sometimes actually.)

No, that wasn’t what I meant. Although I suppose the LastName variable might be unnecessarily confusing. Let’s say your name were Rich Smith. I get that you don’t like Rich, but are you saying you prefer “Smith” or “Mister Smith”? It sounds like you like “Smith”, but I honestly never thought of that as more formal or less familiar than “Rich”. I know people who do it, but I always thought it was more weird than anything. Whereas, for instance, if you call someone “Mister Smith” you’re clearly either formal, unfamiliar, or both.

Exactly - the process of cooking is relaxing for me if I don’t rush through it. I get well intentioned time saving advice all the time about how they now sell frozen vegetables and pie crusts, cranberry sauce in cans and pesto in jars. I can understand why someone that’s very busy would find it weird that anyone would want to take longer than they had to.