How can I block broadcast television?

I have the same problem with both of my TVs and VCRs. I have cable, which works fine. In fact, the worse the weather, the better the picture. However, when the weather is good, I get interference from local channels. How do I know this? Well, I can see and hear both the cable channel and local channels. It’s frustrating as hell, because I just want to watch some mindless crap on E! and not whatever happens to be on WHUT channel 34 at the same time (my worst offender).

I don’t have an antenna. I’m not trying to receive the channel. My television and VCR are set to cable, not broadcast. Is there a way to block the signal?

ETA: I have nothing personal against WHUT which is the Howard College station; it’s just that it comes in clearly on cable channel 32 and I don’t need a second version superimposed on my other channels.

I going to guess that it’s coming in on the cable line, not via broadcast transmission.

Or, the cable is acting as an antenna. Have you tried buying an inexpensive RFI filter? I’d imagine any electronics store (Best Buy, Circuit City, etc.) would have them.

If it’s on multiple TVs, the problem is probably with the cable TV company, and hopefully (local regulations vary widely on this, depending on if it’s a house or an apartment) it will be their responsibility to fix.

What’s happening, simply enough, is the off-air channels are leaking into the cable TV system. It could be anything from a bad piece of cable* in your home, on up to bad equipment out on the pole, or even a neighbor with an antenna and signal amplifier that’s improperly connected.

Being weather-related, I’m pretty confident this problem is not in your home, so call the cable TV company and complain about it. Explain to them that it comes and goes with the weather and that because of this, you think it’s a problem with their wiring and equipment outside, rather than your TVs and VCRs that are staying nice and dry inside.

• Any section of cable that’s carrying the cable TV signals should be a type called RG-6. It’s got multiple layers of shielding to prevent off-air signals from leaking in, and will be fairly stiff and about as thick as a pencil. Some older systems are wired with RG-59, which will leak signals in or out like crazy.

You can try grounding the cable connectors, and if you have any connectors with unused spots (like having a 1 in 4 out, and only using 2 out), you can try replacing it with a connector that has the proper amount of outs. Also you can try a home run from where the cable enters, just install connectors with one in one out right up to the TV where you are having trouble. If it is fixed, just reinstall the splitters till the problem comes back and that would help ID the bad line.