How can I block telepathy? (In fiction, of course)

[QUOTE]
*Originally posted by RealityChuck *
**The most effective way, of course:

Or, of course:

:smiley:

So many sig lines, so little time…

Masturbation.

Or voluntary temporary insanity, brought on by something along the lines of Zen-like contemplation (but different).

Drat it, BraheSilver beat me to mentioning Carpe Jugulum. Pratchett’s vampires find single-minded people easy to control. A foggy mind is harder, and people with multiple personalities are the most resistant of all.

You could also break telepathy via the method used in Minority Report, although you need to set up an extremely specific set of circumstances. Imagine all the things you would do to fool a lie detector, and you’re close to being able to fool a telepath.

Imagine a foil beanie, and a pair of walkmen–one blasting garbled high-speed punk, one playing Ira Glass on “This American Life” talking about animal husbandry. Add in visual footage of animals hunting, or rub a cologne or perfume that triggers juvenile memories under your nose. Then stick to activities that you can do blindfolded, in the dark, like cleaning a rifle.

In the world of Role-playing with Psionics there are several ways of going about blocking psionics. I role-play and run games called Amber DRPG. In this world we have a stat called Psyche. Mental strength.

One way to block a telepath is to simply have a higher Psyche. A person reading the mind of somebody with a pyche with compareable or greater psyche must enter a mind battle to break into a persons mind.

In Amber we make them spend points for powers and abilities. I have done and seen the 5 point breakdown method. 5 points for telepathy, and in incriments of 5, thus you can buy more Telepathy (and thus have much more control over it, psyche is your strength, not control). A person can buy 5 points of something called Psionic Defense. 5 points will flat out block 5 points of telepathy.

Some GM’s have taken Psionic Defense and made a version of it that is Area Effect. Your psyche determins the range of this effect, and any powers are dampened. (5 points of AE dampening, blocks 5 points worth of psionics, and lowers the control of somebody with 10 points down to a psuedo 5 pt level)

Needless to say, such a method could easily be implimented in fiction.

My mind is slowly turing to mush. I can’t remember where I saw this, but it was recently and on the glass teat. think of the ocean picture the breaking waves no trees no sand no sky. Just the waves.
Just a way to clear one’s mind I guess.

Anger, hate, strong negative emotions. Worked for Captain Christopher Pike on the first Star Trek pilot. Of course, you can’t keep that up for long…