How can I break this stupid habit?

I find myself tugging at my eyebrows quite often. Sometimes I don’t even realize I’m doing it. How can I break myself from this?

That is sometimes the result of anxiety. Anything you are worried about, but avoiding?

Shave your eyebrows.

Wear over mitts 24/7.

Dip your fingers in jalapeno juice. You won’t want them anywhere near your eyes.

Start writing down every time you notice yourself doing this. It can be a simple tick mark on an index card, or a note in your phone…whatever is easiest. See what is cueing the behaviour (boredom? anxiety? nervousness?) and then find a motion to replace the eyebrow tugging, such as rapping your knuckes against a desk or hard surface. Something that keeps your fingers or hands momentarily busy. Try replacing the behaviour every time, and eventually the habit will change.

Check out this book The Power of Habit for insight into the cycle of cues and rewards.

Can we expect the OP bumping this thread in 6 months asking how to break the newly acquired habit of knuckle rapping on a hard surface?

Sounds like you may have a condition called Trichotillomania… it’s basically an impulse-control disorder (which can vary in severity). You may need some more in-depth help to stop than just gloving your hands.

You need finger candy, as substitute.

Doesn’t matter what it is, as long as it’s pleasant to handle and fits in a pocket. Big nut and screw, some small toy, pretty seashells. Something that when you see it, you cannot help but pick it up and get all touchy with it. Carry it always in your pocket, from there, it’s just straight substitution!

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

My daughter struggles with all sorts of nervous ‘hair’ habits. She has to channel her nervous energy into things like knitting or beading to keep her hands busy.

Anti-anxiety drugs can help some people, too.