How can I do this in MS Word 2000?

Okay, that’s one way to do it, albeit the wrong way and if you have to make edits, boy oh boy are you going to be sorry.

Anyway, you CAN do it that way. BUT you still have to format the tabs if you want the dots to appear; and if you go into double-digits with the page numbers, the will never align because you are using the default tab, which is a left-aligned tab.

To format the tabs, you will have to do what I said about 8 posts ago. There is no other way to do it. There is no shortcut. There is no magic trick. You just have to format them.

My response was to Trigonal, not Peter Morris.

I don’t think TP is going to be able to use the TOC function if he doesn’t even know how to put a tab in. Not to be insulting but I think TOC is beyond his capabilities. But prove me wrong!

Actually, **Peter Morris’ ** explanatoin was very clear and I see exactly how to do it.

The only question I have is how do I change the format of the headings themselves? I want everything in the same font and size.

Format–>Styles. This gets complicated, though, and is an area in Word that I don’t play in much :).

Daniel

I tried it Peter Morris’ way and it we’re almost there. Although it does format my entries correctly I can’t figure out how to include the page numbers that I specify. Right now it just says “1” for all the page numbers. Where/how do I include my page numbers such that Word includes them correctly?

Okay, it looks like the TOC algorithm extracts the page numbers by finding in the document the location (the page) of the particular header.

This will not work as I don’t have the document to work with. All I have is a notepad file with all the toc entries I need. Therefore, when I apply the style and run the TOC formatter, it sees everything as being on page 1.

Any idea on how to resolve this?