Two simple Microsoft Word Qs

I really should know how to do this, but I can’t figure it out, and Microsoft Word help is awful.

1. I need to set up a multi page document so the first page (cover) is unnumbered, the second through fifth pages are numbered i, ii, iii; and the following pages are numbered 1 through the end.

2. I want to make a table of contents without using Word’s TOC fields. How do I line everything up correctly? IOW, I need something like:

Section 1 … 1
Section 2 … 23

But everything needs to line up on either end. Justify text doesn’t work. How do I right align the page numbers and left align the section titles?

File -> Page Setup -> Layout tab -> Check the different first page checkbox

Have you tried using a table, then setting the columns to be invisible (by removing the borders?)

For the first question, I mean, how do I make the same document number the following way:

i-iii,1-10

If I number my pages, it runs through all the sections of the document. I can’t seem to set it so Section 2 is Roman numerals i-iii, while Section 3 starts at Arabic numeral 1 and continues onward.

Do you have section breaks between each section? If not, you’ll need to put in section breaks (Insert --> Break). For each section, when you add page numbers (Insert --> Page Numbers), click on Format and you can specify which type of page number you want. To keep the pages number sequential, click on “Continue from Previous Section.”

Set the tab stop to a right tab, not a left tab. Easiest way:

1. Highlight the index text.
  2. Double click on the ruler (the place with all the tabs). Make sure you’re not setting a new tab (though it can be removed by dragging it off the ruler).
  3. When the list of tabs displays, click on the one you want to change.
  4. Under “Alignment,” check “right.”
  5. Close the window.

There is no easy way to do it. MS Word bases everything on its own template and 95% of your work will be to undo it.

I Built your setup from scratch, and here’s how I did it. Yes, it’s reinventing the wheel several times and the work is totally unnecessary, but Uncle Bill thinks you should do it his way first, so you have to indulge him.

1. Start new document
  2. Insert --> Break --> Next Page (don’t ever use Page Break). Do this 5 times
  3. Go to first page
  4. Insert —> Page Numbers. Only modify Position and Alignment. Don’t uncheck the bottom box and don’t mess with Format.
  5. View --> Header and Footer. You’ll get a little toolbar.
  6. Page down to bottom of page 1. Delete “1”.
  7. Scroll down to the bottom of page 2. There’s no number. Curse Microsoft.
  8. Make sure you’re in the Footer box at the bottom of page 2. Click the leftmost icon on your Header/Footer toolbar. That’s Insert Page Number. Didn’t we do this before?
  9. Click on the icon two places over to the right. That’s the Format Page Number.
  10. Look at the little menu. For Number Format, choose your i, ii, iii style. Under Page Numbering, choose Start At then “i” (should be default).
  11. Microsoft thinks you want to default everything to Left Justified. Center i if that’s what you want.
  12. Scroll down to the next page. There should be a “2” at the bottom. Highlight, click on Format Page Number, and change it to ii.
  13. Repeat for the next page and change to iii. Curse Microsoft some more.
  14. Scroll down to the next page, which should have a “4” at the bottom. Highlight and click on Format Page Number. Click Page Numbering–>Start At–>1.
  15. C&P the text from your other document onto this one and pray the formatting holds.

I actually didn’t have to go through all that hoopla. I had screwed up one of my section breaks. When I deleted my breaks and started again, I was able to number all the pages to my liking just using the Insert > Page Number tool on each section. It worked fine.