How Can You Buy Eskimo Clothes Online?

I live in Chicago and I want to ride my scooter during the winter. The biggest limitation is that my hands block blood when they are cold and get numb and painful. So I need an extremely insulating exterior glove / mitt to block the wind for the interior leather glove. I am also looking for a jacket rated for -5 F or lower, but these cost like +$1000 from Canada.

Where can I find eskimo gloves and/or jacket for sale?

It’s not clear what you mean by “eskimo clothes”. Are you in fact seeking to buy genuine traditional Inuit fur garments for your winter outdoor activities?

If so, why do you think those are the best option for cold-weather technical clothing? AFAICT, most modern cold-weather adventurers such as mountaineers or polar-region researchers don’t use traditional fur garments because they have modern alternatives that work better.

All the Eskimos I ever knew wore Carhartts and Army surplus parkas like the rest of us. Nowadays, they layer up just like civilized people because they’re not still living like they did 200 years ago. You might check an Army/Navy surplus store to find Arctic mitts.

No idea about Eskimo clothes, but my son bought me some nice battery powered heated motorcycle gloves for Christmas last year. They work great.

There’s all kinds of heated motorcycle gear available, stuff like jacket liners, pants liners, gloves, etc. I don’t ride below about 40 deg F so the gloves are all I need, but there’s all kinds of stuff out there. You’re not the only one riding around on two wheels in the winter.

I’m assuming the o.p.’s description of “Eskimo Clothes” means cold weather gear, not literally traditional fur-lined Inuit garb.

I’d suggest the o.p. look for snowmobiling or mountaineering clothes. These are going to be somewhat expensive because they are purpose-designed clothes with a lot of insulation and features to protect against wind intrusion, but anything “cheap” is going to be worth what you pay for it. If you look around on sites like Moosejaw.com, CampSaver.com, or Backcountry.com you’ll find regular 20% off sales on outdoor gear, and even deeper discounts on closeout items, but even so a parka intended for subzero use is going to cost several hundred dollars. I assume the same is true for snowmobile gloves, suits, et cetera.

Stranger

Do you mean Canada Goose?

I’m curious, does a scooter operate normally at -5[sup]o[/sup] F or lower? Do you have to do anything special to it?

You can find parkas with comparable capabilities for less if you don’t need to stick with a fashion brand. I like Fjallraven because I’ve found them to be quite durable with large accessible pockets and plenty of room for layering, plus you can find regular sales on the online sites I linked to previously but there are options that aren’t going to run four figures. For gloves, just look for something thick with an extended skirt to go over the coat sleeve—frequently called “guide gloves”—which should run ~$120 or less, and then wear a liner below it.

Stranger

I used clothing I bought at REI for Antarctica, but it wasn’t -5 F, so I don’t have specific recommendations.

As far as your hands go, you’re better off going with a handlebar muff that covers the bar and hand, rather than going for a thick overglove that will make managing controls more difficult. The link is to a single example; there are many versions for bikes, snowmobiles, etc.

Yes, just look for snowmobile equipment. Basically the extreme of what you want are what crazy Canadians already do with snowmobiles - sit immobile on a device zipping through the winter air (“dashing through the snow”) in below zero conditions at speeds of 40 to 60mph at times, for an hour or more… Eskimos just stand there and try to avoid heavy winds.

Really? I mean…really?

Stranger

I think the grain of truth buried in md2000’s rather weird remark is that traditional Arctic Native people are likely to be moving at slower speeds and using more physical exertion than a modern snowmobiler, both of which tend to reduce the dangers of cold.

Remember, it’s not a real American outdoor sport if you’re not sitting down, making noise, and burning gasoline!

The handlebar muffs are the best option for protecting your hands.

As far as a reasonable jacket, I have a snorkel (jacket) that cost less than $140 and I wear it over an REI down jacket I bought on sale for less than $100. IMHO, you want a stiff outer layer (like a cheap snorkel) that will provide some resistance to wind as you ride. Buying an expensive down-filled outer jacket usually means that it will compress easily and significantly reduce the insulating characteristics. I don’t ride at -5 degrees, but I’ve often done 60 mph in 20 degrees and the snorkel+down liner has worked very well. On the other hand, I feel like I’m wearing body armor when I get off the motorcycle.

Most Inuit/Eskimo drive snow machines and ATVs to get to where they’re going. But you’re right: driving a dog team is exhausting work.

There’s several Canadian Tire stores in London, Ontario if you’re willing to make the trip. It’s an automotive/outdoors/home improvement/everything kind of store. They stock snowmobile gear (link to catalog), but you might want to check before you go as it’s generally only stocked in winter months.

The natives who drive snowmobiles and ATV’s are typically wearing modern holofil garments, because they are lighter, less bulky and more flexible than traditional garments - and warmer. A good pair of Inuit mitts is pretty bulky and thick and might be good for holding onto a dogsled but not great for controlling a bike or motorcycle involving handbrakes and other controls.

But really - the traditional garments are good for what they were intended - the fastest travel speed would be dogsled, bus mostly walking - and if the wind came up, hunker down, build a shelter and wait it out. (Oddly enough, a blizzard at -20 is dangerous) They were not intended for rapid movement. With modern tech came the clothes adapted for modern tech. Traditional garments are more decorative and for dressing up on special occasions.

(The few people I knew that did run dogsleds in the last 30 years were white people. In the middle of nowhere, dog food costs money and with the growing population, hunting for dog food can be time consuming and is not sustainable in volume.)

You probabally dont want eskimo gloves. Eskimos have some of the best outer limb circulation of anyone meaning their hands dont get particularally cold and need less insultation there. They can go witjout gloves in situations where most are using their full winter gloveS.

Basically get it started. Not always easy at that temp. Some have a adjustable exhaust where some of that heat can help warm incoming air. Bit that assumes you can start it.

^ Thnx.