How do I find a good pair of winter gloves

I am trying to find a good pair of winter gloves, something that will keep my hands warm. I want something that looks good with coats, I can drive a car with until it warms up, and possibly shovel snow with. I don’t think ski gloves will work, they just look like, ski gloves. I have a pair that has Thinsulate but they don’t work very well. I saw a pair that was lined in cashmere, would they work or is it all hype.

What do I need to look for that will help me? I just want fashionably warm hands in the winter. $50 to $60 is my price range.

Don’t have an answer of what to buy.

But I can mention what not to buy: Coach leather gloves. I bought a pair for $150 last winter and they fell apart after a few weeks of use. They certainly look (looked) stylish but obviously won’t keep your hands warm if the seams are coming apart.

I usually don’t blow $$$ on overpriced yuppie crap but I was walking the streets of downtown Chicago in freezing winter without any gloves and I was desperate. The Coach store was the first place I walked buy that had something to fend off frostbite.

You don’t need a pair of winter gloves, you need several.

Fashionable gloves in general don’t keep your hands warm. They’re OK for going from house to car until the car warms up, but if you need to be outside for any length of time, your hands will get cold.

My suggestion would be to get a pair of cheap-yet-fashionable gloves at Target or wherever, then go to your local sporting goods store and get a good pair of warm gloves (or better yet: mittens) for shoveling or times where you spend more than a few minutes outside and the hell with what they look like.

I concur. And only post to add that you should be able to pick up two or maybe even three pairs, all of which together will satisfy your needs and still be within your sixty dollar limit.

Try www.sierratradingpost.com

Doh, I never even thought of getting several pairs. I do tend to miss the obvious a lot. Thanks.

Okay, then, what do I look for in a good pair of winter gloves to use for shoveling snow and walking the dogs? Not crazy about mittens. Like I said before, I have a pair that look like they would work but they don’t. My fingers get cold, and I have good circulation.

I got the dress gloves covered now.

For shoveling snow and walking dogs any decent pair of ‘ski’ gloves should do the trick. The important thing is that you don’t get a pair that are too tight because this will reduce your circulation and make your fingers cold. If I were shopping for gloves for these activities, I’d go with something that has a lot of insulation and worry less about more expensive waterproof materials.
Really I wouldn’t discount mittens too quick. Generally I find them to be much warmer then gloves because your fingers can keep each other warm and if it’s really bad you can bunch your hand into a fist while keeping it in the mitten. It’s true that you lose dexterity with mittens but by the time you get some big ole gloves you really can’t do much with your fingers anyway.

If you get your fancy gloves in a large enough size, it’s possible that you could combine them with some glove liners and come out with something warm enough to let you shovel while still retaining some style, rather than buying a whole 'nother set of mittens/gloves. However, I’m not certain whether they still sell glove liners - it’s basically a thin, fitted layer that you wear under your gloves (just like you’d wear two sets of socks during said shovelling session.) They used to; my parents had some fashioned out of trendy silver-flecked fabric. 'Course, that was when gloves were less well-manufactured than they are now. You could also use some of those shrink mittens as a base layer; lord knows they’re useless for anything involving real cold.

Me? I wear ski gloves. Sometimes with the shrink mittens, if it’s cold enough.

May I suggest Glittens? Like a glove, like a mitten, but when dexterity is paramount, flip the mitten portion back and your fingers are exposed.

For general use, I always buy ski-type gloves. They have a grip pad on the palm for using with a shovel or for driving, and are lined with Polartec. For serious outdoor activity, you need a mitten with a waterproof exterior and Polartec interior. Gloves just don’t hack it in cold weather for any length of time, unless you also use hand warmers such as the ones on this site.

Mittens are under-rated. I have a pair of woollen mittens / fingerless gloves where the mitten part flips down if I need to be dexterous, which are good for walks.

For the most part though, I wear a cheap pair of insulated leather work gloves. They’re decently warm, don’t look that bad, and I don’t have to worry about them if I want to mess with extension cords or my engine or shovel the walk or anything.

When you want heavy duty gloves for shoveling or other activities where you bend you fingers around something you need these. Snowmobile gloves. They are thick warm and have curved fingers that make holding something much easier.

So, are ski gloves really that warm? I have no idea on what they are like.

You are now also getting me interested in mittens. It is cool how different opinions can open up your mind. I always thought of myself as openminded, but, obviously I wasn’t.

Mittens are much warmer than gloves, and for extended outdoor work where dexterity isn’t paramount are greatly to be preferred. Gloves never keep your fingers warm. I like the flip glove/mitt combos for ordinary run out to the car etc because you have easy dexterity with the mitts flipped back. For shoveling snow heavier mitts are the way to go. Thinsulate is magic. Fashionable is irrelevant.

I own a pair of US air force pilot gloves that are awesome. Although they are summer gloves I’ve never been in cold enough weather where they didn’t work warmth wise. Probably 0-5 degrees F. They are made of nomex and have leather palms and finger grips. Although they are sage green and aren’t very attractive they are very warm and the dexterity they provide is second only to driving gloves. Excellent all around in my opinion.

I don’t have the gloves that Omegaman describes, but barring those, I’ve never had a pair of gloves that really keep your hands warm unless you’re doing some exercise while wearing them. And I’ve had more than one pair of $50-$60 ski gloves.

If you’re actually moving around (shoveling, snowshoeing, skiing), pricey ski gloves work. If you’re standing at a bus stop waiting for a bus to come, or driving when it’s really cold and your car isn’t heated up yet, you want mittens.

Fifteen years ago, you used to be able to buy funky gloves ninja-turtle gloves, which were gloves with only 3 big “fingers” - one for your thumb, one for your pinky and ring finger, and one for the other two fingers. Those were pretty damn warm and they gave you more dexterity than mittens. But alas, I have not seen them for years. Too bad, they were a good compromise.

I second the snowmobile gloves. Get the leather gauntlets with thinsulate, but that will probably blow your budget if you buy them from a skidoo shop. Leather gauntlets are the gold standard of winter hand-protection, and will last forever. However, I have never had a problem with Wal-Mart ski-style gloves. They only last for a year, but they are good enough for me, and I’m from Saskatchewan, a tiny, cold place in northern Russia. I also like those leather gloves that look similar to driving gloves, but are made with thinsulate. They are warm enough for the car, but thin enough to let me hold the steering wheel and shift comfortably.

Ooh - the best ones you can buy are mittens with the glove-like inserts on the inside that have the separate compartments for the fingers. Yeah, you sacrifice dexterity (because of the mitten outside) but you’ll never find anything warmer. Those are the only mittens/gloves/warm handcoverings I’ll buy now. You have to try on a bunch of 'em to find the right ones with the inserts, but you’ll never go back. Nice.

When skiing I like to have thin gloves under my mittens. I found that sometimes you just need to use your hands to do something and if you take your hands out of the mittens then they get cold. Having thin liners on underneath gives you the option of not exposing your hand directly to the wind.

Live long and prosper.
I tried these in the store and decided against them, but they were cool.

I use ordinary and inexpensive fleece gloves for driving and light snow removal. Under $15 at Target or Walmart, or step up to a fancier type: http://www.amazon.com/Mountain-Hardwear-Power-Stretch-Glove/dp/B001EMYHAM/ref=sr_1_29?ie=UTF8&s=apparel&qid=1230637723&sr=1-29

Ski gloves for heavy work. 30-40 dollars seems to buy a decent pair at Dick’s, say, on sale.

A silk liner (under $10) http://www.amazon.com/SSG-Silk-Winter-Glove-Liners/dp/B0002T8ZHE and ski glove when it’s really cold.

Mittens are warmer but I don’t like them.

Leather gloves are too fragile and I don’t wear dress gloves. I like this style http://www.amazon.com/Lambskin-Leather-Gloves-Fleece-GRANDOE/dp/B001HE0N3W/ref=sr_1_25?ie=UTF8&s=apparel&qid=1230637723&sr=1-25 but I’d wreck them working in them.

I have not found the cost of ski gloves to correlate all that well with cold performance.

Awesome! That’s exactly what I was looking for!