How can you use 7 GB in 2 hours

I have a 4GB data plan for both my phone and jet pak. I rarely go over my limit and if I know I am going to then I purchase another GB. Well what happened was I never received a text message or email notifying me that I was almost at my limit of 4 GB. I did however, accumulate 7 GB of data usage from 1:01am to 3:05 am. I hit a new GB at these times: 1:19, 1:42, 2:00, 2:52, 5:53, 2:54, 3:05.
I’m trying to figure out what could use 7 GB of data that quickly. It all came from my jetpak which is my remote internet connection. For starters, I wasn’t even up and awake and did have my jetpak on but I don’t watch videos or anything of that sort.

I called Verizon and they told me someone had to have used it. I told them I live alone and he said well someone had to have used it. They gave me a $20 reduction but I am still paying $30 more than I would pay. I plan on calling them this evening and would love some input before I do on what could possibly use this amount of GB that fast and how can it be done when I am not on my computer. :confused:

Since the OP is looking for advice, let’s move this to IMHO.

maybe hackers are using your internet to stream HD video

https://www.puretalkusa.com/blog/video-streaming-data-explained/

If you burned through 1GB in 18 minutes between 142 and 2am, that would mean you are downloading at HD speeds. Unless you had some kind of streaming site open (or were downloading a large piece of software) I’d wonder if hacking is to play.

Is there a password on your Jetpak thingy? Could a neighbor have used it?

My parents live in the country and use a Verizon Jetpack for internet access. They pay for 5gb per month. Suddenly in the middle of the night it started getting used dramatically during times when both were asleep and their computers turned off.

We determined the troublesome teen aged fellow next door and his friend were the likely culprits, as much as anything because physically no-one else was in range.

I changed the password to a randomly generated 128 character (I think) password and made it so that ONLY my parents computers and my laptop were allowed to access it in the first place.

Oh, and we renamed the network “AREN’T YOU ON PROBATION?” which he was.

No more problems.

that is hilarious how you renamed it that…

I also thought it was hacking but it hasn’t happened since. Don’t hackers use it multiple times? Also why would they just hack to use data? I don’t think the neighbor knows my password either. It is just baffling. I will follow up and let you all know what Verizon says.

Could be some software application that decided to update itself overnight.

do you mean windows updating?

Is the windows 10 update still automatically downloading itself on people’s computers?

If you are running windows 7 or 8, you can follow these instructions to see if a windows 10 update file was downloaded to a hidden folder in your c:\windows folder.

Even Windows 10 should only be about 4 GB.

Note that Windows 10 re-distributes itself via a file sharing mechanism.

Is the OP sure about the GBs being download only?

Actually, it appears if this folder exists it is a hidden folder on the c:\ drive and not in the c:\windows folder.

I had the same problem last year. 10 gig in a couple of hours when we were not using the jetpack. Fought verizon for several weeks, returned the jetpack and got the newer version and they credited us for the overage. No problems with the next gen jetpack.

Keep at them.

Yes, because my Windows 8.1 computer automatically downloaded windows 10 for me. Windows 8.1 isn’t any good though, so I’m glad to have something better.

And thankfully I’m not on a metered connection :slight_smile:

Just to be sure they aren’t suggesting something impossible, some quick math:

3 hours=180min.
7GB = 7,000,000,000 bytes.

7,000,000,000 / 180 min = 38,888,888 bytes per min.
38,888,888 bytes per min = 648,148 bytes per second.
648,148 bytes per second = about 4.9 megabit.

That is feasible. So something would have to be downloading at an average 5 megabits/sec speed for you to use 7GB in 3 hours.
Is your computer off when you’re not using it? If you don’t normally turn it off or at least put it in sleep mode you really should.

When you call Verizon later, they will likely tell you how to access your HotSpot’s administration page. This should let you access the logs on the Jetpack and see which devices have used your data.

First of all, you need to change your password to something secure. If you are using something like these Powerline Adapters to extend your network, you should also know that anyone on the same circuit as you can access your data connection regardless of having your password…unless you have a new fangled adapter with end-to-end encryption.