How cheap was your candy?

What is the cheapest candy you could get when you were young?

• half-cent
  • 1 cent
  • 2 cents
  • 5 cents
  • 10 cents
  • 25 cents
  • more

0 voters

When I was a kid back in the early '60s 2-for-a-penny candy was still available.

I remember getting Big Hunks and Chick-O-Stiks for a nickel each from the drug store down the hill in Bremerton.

Mid-late 60s, Jolly Rancher Stix were a nickel.

I don’t remember prior to upper elementary. Starting 4th grade I had to walk home from school (prior to that took a long bus ride from a different school). My path took me past a convenience store that sold comic books, soda, ice cream, and candy. Even then, candy was the absolute bottom of my list, like who cares? But let’s see… I could get several of those plastic soda straws with powdered candy in them for 5¢, and a box of the wax soda bottles with liquid (sugar water, not carbonated) I think for 3¢… giant SweeTart was 10¢ I think but it was HUGE. Mostly I bought sodas and ice cream instead.

Anybody remember the little bits of candy stuck to a strip of wax paper?

Mid-70’s, Charms Sweet n Sour lollies were a nickel. They were on the bottom shelf, alongside the candy necklaces and wax candy teeth thingies that were maybe a dime.

Dots. Amazon still sells them.

Candy bars (Three Musketeers), Milky Way, Chunky, ABBA Zabba, etc.) cost a nickel.

2 cent bubble gum in the 70s.

I also remember the convenience stores having a “5 cent bin” that was loaded with odd bits of candy. It was basically Halloween reject stuff.

Licorice and Bazooka Joe were a penny a piece in the early Seventies.

Mid-60s. A penny would get you one Pixie-Stix (Pixie-Stick?), one piece of Dubble-Bubble, or one licorice whip. There may have been other things you could get for a penny, but those are the ones that I remember.

i couldn’t answer this because my candy went from 3 cents for a piece of “super bubble” gum to 4 for a dollar candy bars … heck sometimes i could find “pal” gum one cent a piece …

If i ever feel old all i have to do is remember the m&m incident …

Grandpa sold the back half of their house lot to a convenience store chain and occasionally grandma would go there for something and when i was 4 or 5 she went to get some milk and i tagged along knowing id get a candy bar …

Well That week they had just debut the “king size M&M” size for sale and it was in a big display and i grabbed a bag which was a lot of m&m’s and handed it to grandma who even commented “there’s a lot there” but when she had it rung up she said nope … i had ot pick something else …well I wanted those m&ms and threw an epic tantrum i mean bring carried kicking and screaming and such which was unusual for me

and it continued at home , until one of the relatives said something and she snuck back and bought the bag i wanted … the reason she didn’t buy them ? She didn’t want to pay 50 cents for one bag of candy … when i went for a visit i bought a “sharing size” bag and she commented … why not just buy one of the baking bags for 5 bucks … I said " remeber the argument we had over the 50 cent bag? she said " aww hell " and laughed …

do they still make the flavored ones ? there were about 5 or 6 flavors when i was a kid apple grape fruit punch regular and cherry //and i possibly broke a few teeth chewing those

I remember going from store to store, holding out for only Bazooka bubble gum, and feeling like a discerning gourmet.

I don’t recall anything cheaper than a penny. But this thread has brought back fond memories of my six-year-old self on a lazy summer weekend, converting my entire allowance to “penny candy”, lining it all up on a ledge near the playground, and discussing how the world works with my friend Mark… was it an early interest in metaphysics, or just the sugar rush?

Missed edit time to add:

Just found the ledge on G’Maps; it’s above a little alley (now filled with dumpsters) behind my first grade school. And we were sitting on top of a wall with our legs dangling about eight feet off the concrete, glad neither of us lost our balance…

They had penny candy for years after I was a kid. Now for a candy bar, the cheapest was 10 cents.

In the 60’s, fruit flavored Tootsie Roll Midgees were a penny at the neighborhood store I used to visit. But I’d walk a couple of blocks up the street to buy them from the next store (both where in a residential neighborhood) just for them, because they were 2 for a penny. They were a lot bigger than the Midgees not, at least twice a long.

I think regular sized Tootsie Rolls were 5 cents as were Jolly Rancher sticks. Most candy bars were 10 cents and a lot bigger than the ones now. Most twice the size.

Sometimes there would be a box of Hersey’s Kisses (remember when they came in a box?) and I think they were a penny each or two for penny.

A Halloween story.

One year I went trick or treating in my cousin’s neighborhood. It was lower income and I had always gone out in my neighborhood, which I found out was mostly middle to upper class (we were barely middle class) In my cousin’s neighborhood there was an old man sitting on a chair outside his house with a box of Kisses. He gave each kid one kiss. I remarked to my cousin who was a couple of years older, “He game me ONE Kiss!” and he told be happy because the man was poor and that was all he could afford. He also told me not to eat it as supposedly he kept using the same box year after year until it was empty. IIRC, there were ~500 Kisses to a box.

I didn’t eat the Kiss, but was humbled and always remember the man’s smile as he gave the kids the single Kiss. It’s been over 50 years and I’m sure you’re long gone. But Thank You Old Man. Thank You!

Our local corner store had penny cent candy. For some couch cusion change my brother and I would walk town to the store and walk away with a lunch bag full of sweet treasure.

My favorite were Zots and Jolly Ranchers.

In the early 80s people would use the term “penny candy” but finding candy for an actual penny was uncommon at best. But there was one convenience store that had actual penny candy, as well as slightly better candy for 2/.05, .05 and $.10.

It was a dream come true for me as a kid who didn’t want to eat anything with any actual nutritional value, since you could get a decent haul using just the change you found under the couch cushions or whatever your mom was willing to give you from the bottom of her purse.