Not sure if this belongs to GQ or MPSIMS.
Ok, I guess it a well known and accepted fact, that fart and poo stink do not smell as awful to their rightful owner as they do to the unwary and innocent others. A man will refuse to enter a recently vacated stall, prefering to wait for the stink to dilute, but he will sit comfortably on the toilet seat however long it takes to finish his job, not exhibiting any strong dislike to the olefactory environment, so long as what is in the bowl is solely his. It is not that we do not “smell” the stink of our poo. We do, but I guess the brain reacts in a manner entirely different than it does when the source is someone else. Why?
Can someone “recognize” the smell of his fart/poo under different circumstances? I say this, because I can. On those few occasions in a crowd, when I had no alternative but to let off one, I could smell my product as it wafted and drifted around me. I confess, I felt mildly guilty at the uncomfortable faces of those around me.
Suppose someone goes around and “collects” the farts of 5 people at random and retains the collected specimens in separate air tight containers marked with their owners’ ids. Now we put the five man in an elevator and without any warning, open one of the containers thereby allowing the contents to disperse in the closed confines of the elevator. Will all the five in the elevator be equally tortured, or will the rightful “owner” look around and wonder why the others are contorting their faces at such a mildly different but familiar odour? In other words, will the owner recognize the product of his bowels even though he is not aware of it in “real time”?