How committed to recycling are YOU?

What would you be willing to accept in the name of resource conservation? How committed to recycling are you?

Check this out. It’s an article describing how NASA researchers, in an effort to minimize the amount of water a manned rocket must carry, have developed a technique for reclaiming water from urine and feces.

While one researcher, Jeff Volenec, says he’d have no problem drinking the water, his boss has yet to overcome the psychological hurdle (at least as of this CBC Radio interview .

As sure as Tang and Teflon, this toilet is bound to become available to consumers.

Now, I know all the water I have consumed has passed through Og knows what biological processes. Given how pure this water is, I would like to believe I’d have no qualms in quaffing it.

But, I’m sure if offered a glass of myself, I would certainly hesitate - probably balk, maybe even detect a hint of the scent of, urk, you know…

Oh! Oh! What if the machine malfunctions?

Nope, my committment ends with the blue box program.

There is a decent chance that water you have drunk in the past has gone through some creature sometime in the past. There is nothing wrong with recycled water if properly done. If all you are getting out of the other end is H[sub]2[/sub]O then it matters little where it originated. Presumably testing could be done to assure the water quality is where it needs to be.

I’d accept it, as long as the recycling machine was properly designed and working right.

I’ve been known to drink water from Lake Ontario. Given that that lake is the source of Toronto’s drinking water, and the destination of its sewage (after suitable filtration and cleaning in both cases), I don’t see that it’s that much different.

A properly-designed tertiary city filtration system will yield effluent that is cleaner than the river or lake it is entering.

For me to be OK with this, the details would have to be hidden from me. As long I’m told the water has tested clean, and the water looks clean, and smells clean, I’d have no problems.

But, if they ever attach a drinking fountain onto the side of a urinal with one of these converters in between, I’d have to pass.

Hey…wouldn’t a device like this be great for car trips? Receptacle on the top, sippie cup on the bottom. Just give it a good shake, turn it around, and say goodbye to your thirst!

Maybe they could combine a Stadium Pal with one of those Drinking Helmets.

SiouxChief: But, if they ever attach a drinking fountain onto the side of a urinal with one of these converters in between, I’d have to pass.

…sidestepping the temptation to comment on the word “pass”…

This image inspired the idea of a perpetual motion machine: SiouxChief standing at the urinal “powering” a water-wheel-generator, hose extending from the fountain into his mouth.

And some question the benefits of the space program!

“Of course, Ankh-Morpork’s citizens had always claimed that the river water was incredibly pure in any case. Any water that had passed through so many kidneys, they reasoned, had to be very pure indeed.”
–Terry Pratchett, Sourcery

Nothing particularly new about this. I worked for nearly seven years at the Biosphere 2 project where everything, including water, was recycled in a materially sealed system. Drinking water required less filtration since it was collected as condensate from the glass but those inside pretty much knew it went though the bodies of your co-workers every time they took a drink.

Nothing particularly new about this. I worked for nearly seven years at the Biosphere 2 project where everything, including water, was recycled in a materially sealed system. Drinking water required less filtration since it was collected as condensate from the glass but those inside pretty much knew it went though the bodies of their co-workers every time they took a drink.
I’m a bit suprised not one of you made a reference to the stillsuits from Dune.

Not sure where the debate is. We already treat our sewage for return to the environment and we have an unlimited amount of water on this planet. It’s just a matter of populating the areas where it exists and treating the waste water responsibly. It’s not like it’s going anywhere. Any conservation is in the power to pump it and treat it.