How completely caffeine free is "caffeine-free" cola?

I’ve always heard that decaffeinated coffee still has some caffeine in it, just not as much. How do decaffeinated colas compare?

Considering that caffeine doesn’t occur “naturally” in cola, I would assume that it would just be a matter of, well, not putting the caffeine in; so the answer should be zero. Here’s a chart from CSPI confirming that.

Ok, well then maybe I should have started this tread with a different title. What I really want to know is, how can sugar-free caffeine-free cola be addictive? Recently I decided to stop drinking c.f. diet Pepsi and drink bottled water. Shouldn’t be a big deal, right? So why the hell do I feel like a junkie going through withdrawl? Craving, headaches, light sensitivity, tired AND restless at the same time. I feel like crap.

Perhaps you have developed some other ailment with similar symptoms. Temporal proximity does not prove causality. Get thee to a doctor. Or perhaps it is all in your head.

Better question, why are you giving up the fizzy goodness?

I am also giving up cafinated drinks. As for the coffee, if you read the label it will say 50 percent decaf, 75 percent decaf, you gotta look for the 100 percent decaf. Its in small print, you need glasses to read it lol.

And the reason i am giving it up is cause its not good for you. I also was addicted to pepsi, at least i think i was. But i am not suffering from any withdrawls, at least not yet. Hopefully I dont.

[qote]Considering that caffeine doesn’t occur “naturally” in cola
[/quote]

Actually, while your overall statement about “cola” drinks is arguably true, this statement technically isn’t – Josiah Pemberton chose to use Cola Nut extract because it contained a lot of caffeine. He also mixed in Coca leaf extract because of its uplifting properties, then created a blend of flavorings to cover up the bitterness of the Coca and Cola derivatives to give the world a good-tasting 'tonic" mixing the drug efects of Coca and Cola. The flavoring turned out to be more popular than the coca or caffeine effects, though, so the drink was marketed mainly on that sttrength (especially after Asa Candler bought the company and slightly reformulated it).

They took out the cocaine in the early 20th century, but Coke still claims that it uses coca leaf extract, so there’s a minute trace of cocaine in it. They started substituting other sources of caffeine (like tea dust), and I don’t know if they still use cola nut extract. Probably, if they’re as fanatical about it as the coca leaves in maintaining their namesakes.

But, n fact, neither are needed for the taste, which is basically a mixture of citrus oil (not juice), cinnamon or cassia, and vanilla, with traces of other flavorings (lavender? neroli? Who knows?). But other “cola” drinks don’t have to add the coca and cola extracts, or anything having caffeine. I that case a “cola” drink can be 100% caffeine free.
look up the formula information in William Poundstone’s Big Secrets, pr Cunningham’s For God, Country, and Coca Cola.

From what I can figure out, coffee labeled as “decaffeinated” sold in the US must have 97% or more of the caffeine removed. If you’re seeing 50% or 75% on the labels, I suspect you’re either looking at some weird “half-caff” blends or don’t live in the US.