Whoever owned Twilight Zone either was the same company behind Forbidden Planet or else bought the rights to the props. Does anyone know the full story?
Robby the Robot at least made the rounds.
He was seen in a lot of shows and movies.
What other props do you recall?
Both Forbidden Planet and Twilight Zone were filmed at MGM studio and MGM used to be great at storing old props. So TZ had access.
I think movie studios used the same sets and props for a bunch of shows
I know there’s a certain living room with a staircase I’ve seen in lots of old movies.
Props are sometimes owned by companies who rent them out to various studios. The PKE meter from Ghostbusters also appeared in They Live and Suburban Commando. Armor from Starship Troopers was later used in the televison series Firefly. There’s a somewhat famous science fiction prop of two tubes of light that was in The Wrath of Khan, Star Trek the Next Generation, The Last Starfighter and I’m sure other productions I can’t think of. Bounty hunter Bossk from The Empire Strikes Back is wearing an astronaut costume from Dr. Who.
I guess that doesn’t answer specific questions about The Twilight Zone though.
Again, those props belonged to MGM, where Twilight Zone was filmed.
Robby was rented out and loaned out a lot.
He has his own IMDB page. Kind of like the Muppets do.
Aside from Robby the Robot, Twilight Zone used the spaceship model (repeatedly) and the ground car.
In Star Trek, City on the Edge of Forever, Captain Kirk & Spock are walking down a recognizable street in Mayberry RFD.
Props & whole sets were re-used often in Hollywood studios.
Every French town in Combat! looked exactly the same, since they were all MGM’s European Village.
The water tower Barney climbed to deposit the psychoactive drug BU230 in an episode of Mission: Impossible can be seen in photos of the Desilu/Paramount lot.
I think that is the same one that appears (incongruously) in the background of the German POW camp in Hogan’s Heroes.
I believe the one in M:I was much taller and more modern.
It doesn’t even have to be the same studio or production company. The same Venus de Milo figurine with a clock in her belly appears in both the 1950 and 1991 versions of Father Of The Bride, and the production companies were different.
I may have made this up in my mind, but I could have sworn that one of the space pods from 2001: A Space Odyssey (well, there probably only was one, really), also appeared in a late 1940s film, this time as a gunnery turret on a large bomber. The characters were touring an airplane factory. I’ve never been able to confirm this, though, or identify the movie. I’ve only seen it once and it was a very long time ago.
No, not the small wooden one inside the POW camp.
I mean an actual water tower for the local water system, located outside the studio backlot grounds – it appears sometimes in the background of outdoor shots in the Hogan’s Heroes series.
See https://retroweb.com/40acres/stalag_13_view_southwest.jpg
I recently watched a bunch of TZ but it was the first time since I had become so familiar with Forbidden Planet. I already knew that the C-57D appeared in TZ as both the miniature (as “aliens” terrorizing an old woman) and as a set piece (for frightened people fleeing their planet). No surprise there. But I enjoyed the unexpected appearance of Krell technology in various episodes. Specifically, the “power gauges” from the Krell laboratory. Does any other stuff from FB make an appearance?
That might be it, but I’d have to see the episode of M:I to be sure.
The box Obi-Wan stores Anakin’s lightsaber in in Star Wars is the same box Lex Luthor stores kryptonite in in Superman (1978).
Actually, I think you’re right. The tower is in this shot of the Back 40. I just can’t imagine anyone climbing to the very top.
It even appeared on an episode of Columbo, as a brainiac kid’s Science Fair project, or something. That was an eyeroll moment ![]()
It’s not Chekhov’s robot, people! Just because you have it doesn’t mean you always need to use it.
Well, having looked at his credits last night.
2026: 1 episode of Euphoria. Most of their viewers probably don’t know Robby or Forbidden Planet.
Last time I saw him was 2014 on Big Bang Theory. They also had the classic 1960 Time Machine in another episode.
He kind of famously appeared near a Dalek in 2003’s Looney Tunes: Back in Action.
I mean 32 credits is impressive, including a major role in the forgotten 1957 movie The Invisible Boy.
Vasquez Rocks
Do you mean the Gorn rocks?
Also showed up in Big Bang Theory come to think of it.