How did the phrase "double-dollar" arise?

It sounds like something that originated in gambling parlance, now mostly used for things like lottery tickets or scratch-offs. By extension it’s used for things like 2-for-1 sales or matching-fund charities. But I don’t actually know. Anyone?

P.S. and its use as some sort of variable flag in programming, but that’s obviously a newer thing.

Don’t think I’ve ever heard the phrase “double dollar.”

Is it a two-dollar bill? Like a “double sawbuck” is a twenty?

I’ve never heard this phrase either. Maybe it’s a regional thing?

I have a vague recollection of $$ being used as a variable in computer programing.

I have never heard this phrase before, but it sounds like it’s simply something like “double [your] dollar” or that each dollar is worth double. If I’m intuiting the meaning of the phrase correctly, it seems simple as that.

Double dollars are the currency used in the Trigun universe, with the main character Vash the Stampede having a $$60,000,000,000 (sixty billion double dollar) bounty on his head. The setting is heavily influenced by Old West culture.

Another vote for “never heard of it.”

OP please provide more context.

Yeah, also never heard this phrase before.

OP, where are you located? Maybe it’s some small regionalism.

The OP specifically mentions matching charitable contributions, where “double your dollar” is a common phrase. Never heard it without the “your”.

Yep. The phrase as quoted is unknown to me. However, "double your dollar” likely goes back a while.

I’ve never heard the phrase, and googling “double dollar” doesn’t turn up any obvious uses as described by the OP. Most of the hits are related to computer programming.