How Do Arab Hstorians Treat "Lawrence of Arabia"?

T. E. Lawrence is a puzzling figure to me. On the one hand, the man was a definate historical figure, and had a tremendous effect upon Arab nationalism. He was also a reflective man, who certainly regretted the role he played (in setting up the ME for domination by Britain and France). He was also perceptive in the future of the ME…he was deeply pessemistic 9and events have proven him correct).
But waht do modern Arab historians think of him? Was he a largely peripheral figure? Or do they see him as an agent for British imperialism?
Lawrence compounded the mystery around him…he was killed in a motorcyle accident, at a fairly young age…probably he would not have aged well.
What’s the concensus on this?

I’ve been trying to work through a recent bio of Lawrence, and have barely gotten anywhere in it. I have read his book The Seven Pillars of Wisdom, asnd recommend it. If nothing else, it shows you how very far from reality the David Lean/Robert Bolt movie strays.

I don’t know about how historians in the Middle East feel about Lawrence, but apparently feelings about him in the west have been changing. According to Richard Shenkman’s Legends, Lies, and Cherished Myths of World History (his fourth and least and worst-promoted book) Lawrence himself didn’t think he was acting in the best interests of the Arabs, and was using them as a tool of British policy. He gives references of recent scholarship, which I haven’t looked up.

Apparently, his autobiography strays from reality a bit too. At least that what I read.