How do gymnasts avoid wedgies and cameltoe?

From **Bob Scene’s ** post:

This here is your answer I’ll bet. Accounts for that “padded” look as well as the disproportionately high merkin purchases among female gymnasts.

And that was the last we heard from SHAKES that day…:wink:

…even about THIS??!?! Honest, guy, we ain’t exactly dealing with fashion frou-frou here. This is a topic of intimate interest to most males.

Ok, nevermind my stunning lack of physical endurance and co-ordination, but that right there would be enough to keep me out of professional gymnastics. I’d either have to shave my ass or painfully pull out the hairs every time I applied the adhesive. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Don’t you mean “hat trick”?

Too late. When the revolution comes, you’ll be first against the wall. Karma, dude.

/envy
:smiley:

Getting them… or running into them?

Alex, I’ll take Obstacle Courses We’d Like To See for a thousand, please.

Dammit. I googled and found this.

Beh. First time I am trying to post a link. Hope it works.

Hm. There goes my tame theory.

tape theory. :smack:

It was a relatively tame theory as well.

Huh. Never thought about it, really, and had tons of responses, but after applying a little more thought, none of them might be right.

First off, I’m not a gymnast. However, I danced for a number of years, and so wore many a leotard.

First off, I’m guessing that properly fitting leotards won’t have too much of a cameltoe issue, regardless of all the moving around. I think that cameltoe would only be an issue with leotards that were too small. But a too small leotard would be too restrictive and uncomfortable anyway, so likely you’d buy a new one before it got to be too much of a problem.

Wedgies I can see - that would be a problem. Apparently the adhesive takes care of it. However, I’d think that the gymnasts would have “don’t adjust the costume while performing!” (especially if it’s a deduction) drilled into their heads so strongly that there’s no way they’d even think of trying (I’m only a dancer, and it was certainly drilled into mine. So much so that I *always *comment on it when I see it somewhere else, regardless of venue). I’d think anyone over 10 would be used to enduring discomfort for a short period of time until they could adjust things. I’d also guess that while performing, they’d be so focused that they might not notice a wedgie.

But what do I know? As a dancer, I almost always wore tights under my leotard, negating the possibilities of cameltoes (and wedgies, mostly, depending on cut). And unitards don’t seem to have the problems due to the continuation of the fabric down the leg. Maybe that’s the solution - wear bike shorts or some such under the leotard, or wear a unitard. However, I don’t know if either is allowed.

Could it be something more fundamental, like body-fat percentage? Someone very lean and muscular may be a lot less prone to the nips and tucks of fabric that afflict the puffier general population.

Alright people.

I AM a gymnast (well, not now, but when I was younger).

Wedgie you just accept as a given - you resist the urge to pick it out - frankly, you’re so torked up that you don’t really notice it’s there.

Cameltoe - assuming you buy a suit that fits, this just doesn’t happen. Not only did it never happen to me, I never had a friend or competitor that it happened to either.

If your suit is too small, that’s a whole other story.

And yes I’m aware that there are photos out there of “gymnasts” with cameltoe. However, the one I’m thinking of, the girl has her legs behind her head. While I can do that (to this very day), it’s not actually an accepted gymnastic move and would not be awarded points in competition. Not even style points. :wink:

Oh - and there’s no padding in the crotch of a gymnastic outfit. You wear underwear and that’s about it.

When you’re landing on the balance beam on your crotch, your muscles are tensed so you’re not exactly slamming into it.

Trifecta.

I’ve been waiting my whole Dope career for this moment:

My 1,000th post (above) was in a thread about wedgies and cameltoe.

How YOU doin?

And may I point out that the most extreme examples of camel-toe are from garments like pants, or shorts, that have a seam up the middle of the crotch that, when worn too tight will create the toe effect. A leotard has no such seam up the middle.

Ask me how many times I’ve heard THAT…

:smiley: