Here in my little ol’ bumpkin town of Bakersfield, hookah bars are the new thing that the kids are all into. By kids, I mean my peers. Smoking isn’t my thing and so I obviously don’t take part in these outings.
I digress. My question is: how do these hookah bars get around the indoor smoking ban in place in California? If I can’t light up a cig in an establishment, why is it ok for there to be a hookah and its smoke?
There’s a place just down the street from me called Fumare that just opened, but my town bans indoor smoking starting January 2nd. I’m really hoping it doesn’t go out of business before I can check it out. They seem to serve alcohol too, so it could be a pretty chill place.
[QUOTE=hajario]
2) It’s in a tobacco shop. Tobacco shops are exempt from the smoking ban. I think that that would mean that food and drink couldn’t be served.
[/QUOTE]
Not in New Haven, CT. The tobacconist’s is also a bar and does a rather brisk business being the only one you can smoke in.
[QUOTE=Mathochist]
Not in New Haven, CT. The tobacconist’s is also a bar and does a rather brisk business being the only one you can smoke in.
[/QUOTE]
I am sure that the rules vary all over the place. The OP asked a question specific to California.
[QUOTE=hajario]
I am sure that the rules vary all over the place. The OP asked a question specific to California.
[/QUOTE]
Yes, you’re sure. There are plenty of readers who might just assume that the rules are more or less the same. If absolutely nothing else, I point out that there are local variations.
Besides which, I quoted you saying “I think that that would mean that food and drink couldn’t be served.” If the ban is written so that tobacconists can serve food and drink here, they might be there as well. Of course that’s might, not must.
Both D.C and New York have specific exemptions for specific establishments. In D.C. cigar bars are exempted from the ban if more than 75% of their revenue comes from tobacco sales. I imagine something like that would apply in California.
[QUOTE=Larry Borgia]
Both D.C and New York have specific exemptions for specific establishments. In D.C. cigar bars are exempted from the ban if more than 75% of their revenue comes from tobacco sales. I imagine something like that would apply in California.
[/QUOTE]
Don’t know if this still is the case, but in 2004, Mrs. Know and I were in San Diego on our honeymoon, walking along the Gaslamp District. We were looking for a place to have a drink, but it was a Friday night, and the lines were just too long. We ended up in a coffee, cigar and hookah establishment where I had a great coffee and a nice cigar. We were at one of the outside tables, but people were smoking the hookah indoors. At the time, there probably was the same exemption mentioned by Larry .
I dunno about California, but apparently what you can do around here is to get your establishment listed as a private club. The folks working there have to be volunteer (I suspect you can insert air quotes for that last word), and there are some other requirements that you have to meet.
I got an email back from Azeem Syed, one of the owners of the place I mentioned up thread. He says:
[QUOTE=Azeem]
Cluricaun, Fumare Lounge appreciates your concerns and your comments in regards to the "smoking ban." Rest assured the Schaumburg municipality is cooperating with us and vise-versa so that both sides can go home happy. In the meantime, come on in anytime during business hours and allow us to indulge your senses! Sincerely, The team at Fumare Lounge
[/QUOTE]
So it sounds like they’re not entirely sure what’s going to happen. Either way I’ll be stopping by to check the place out. Hopefully they don’t get their business kicked out from under them by this legislation.
[QUOTE=iamthewalrus(:3=]
That doesn’t sound right to me. Can the local bar really not keep under-21 people out if they sell someone a coke?
[/QUOTE]
This particular argument struck me as a stretch when I first read it. Yes the statute prohibits some age discrimination. But courts take a careful look when they consider age discrimination claims under it:
(Emphasis added.) Pizarro v. Lamb’s Players Theatre, 135 Cal. App. 4th 1171; 37 Cal. Rptr. 3d 859; 2006 Cal. App. LEXIS 64; 2006 Cal. Daily Op. Service 673; 2006 Daily Journal DAR 927 (2006): http://login.findlaw.com/scripts/callaw (login required).
Of course I’d welcome the opinion of a California lawyer. Hey Campion!