How do I become a Freemason?

!

Ask a man you know is a Freemason for an application. From what I understand, they do not approach people and ask them to join.

"To be one, ask one."

At least, that’s how I understand it. As NtbQ says, they don’t approach people.

FWIW, the Shriners are a branch of the Masons. I don’t know how it works, though.

Oh, if you don’t know a Mason you can probably inquire at a Masonic Hall.

How to become a Mason in California.

I assume the procedure is the same wherever you live.

Mrs. Rastahomie’s grandfather and uncle are both Masons. If you’re interested in joining a lodge in Southeastern Missouri, I could make a couple of phone calls for you…

Or you could just do like me and become a generic hermeticist –

You get to drive yourself crazy with archaic arcana, over-analyze everything, especially history, theology, and literature, prepare alchemical formulae according to 15[sup]th[/sup] century recipes, (some of which are liable to drive you out of your gourd), and generally feel as though you’re in on something that most plebes have absolutely no idea about.

But you don’t have to pay dues or wear a silly apron or gaudy rings. Oh yeah, and the Masons have been trying to accomplish the Great Work without the aid of a Soror Mystica for the last couple of centuries, which is liable to lead to some confusion and frustration, unless you’re specially-built. If you know what I mean. Nudge nudge.

…mudd
(Who’s been going out of his mind by degrees since 1990.)

To become a Mason, yo must ask one, who will give you an application. Fill it out and pay the initiation fee, the Lodge will vote on you and if the vote is favorable, invite you over to the initiation.

After you are made a First Degree (“entered apprentice”) you will have a year or so to advance through the other two degrees. No problem if you apply yourself.

Then, if you owuld like, you may join the York or Scotish Rites (or both) and be raised to the 32nd Degree.

Finally, after all that you can join the Shrine. Well worht it if only to support the hospitals for cripled children.

Please drop me a line if you need more information.