How do I find out about warranty laws in Texas

I have a treadmill in which the motor for the incline stopped working. It’s frozen in the 25% incline position. The stated warranty is only 90 days from date of purchase, which was back in January. How can I find out if my state has warranty laws that would mean the company has to pay for the broken motor?

You can try this link: The Texas Statutes and do a search. I did a quick one but didn’t find anything that is useful to you (although I admit I didn’t look too hard). IANAL but I would guess a warranty is entirely up to the manufacturer to provide and the states have nothing to say about what guarantees the manufacturer is willing to provide. Some items come with no warranties and others have warranties that vary wildly. The manufacturer probably only provides them because it is a selling point. A consumer may opt for a competing product that does provide a warranty since they may assume that the manufacturer makes a better product and is thus willing to stand behind it and if something does go wrong they aren’t screwed.

Ever notice how many products seem to break only days or weeks after their warranty expires? That’s not entirely an accident or coincidence. Barring defects in manufacture (which is what is really being covered under a warranty) most manufacturers have an excellent idea of the lifespan of a given product. They will write their warranties as liberally as possible so they look good yet fall under the MTBF (mean time between failure) of a given product. Notice on your car that things such as the drive train have a much shorter warranty than the rust warranty. Also note that the rust warranty is usually a rust through warranty. In other words, your car must not only have rust on it but actually rust a hole all the way through the metal affected. That could take years and the manufacturer knows it thus they can hand you a 5 year rust through warranty and not be too concerned.

The only ‘warranty’ I can think of that is mandated by the state (at least some states) are ‘Lemon Laws’ that apply to purchasing a seriously defective vehicle. These laws usually mandate that the dealer take the car back if the defects rise to the level set forth in the law (although dealers will kick and scream and do most anything to wiggle out of taking a car back).

Again, IANAL so take this with a grain of salt. It is probably not worth the money to retain an attorney for this but of course your only reliable answer will come from someone licensed to practice law in Texas who is likewise familiar with this area of law.

There are some implied warranties, such as the warranty of fitness, the warrant of merchantability, etc. Usually an express warranty will override any implied warranty unless a statute provides otherwise. Since the treadmill was fit for the purpose for which it was sold and was operable for six months, I think you are SOL. You can contact the company and they may offer you a deal you can’t refuse, if public opinion is worthy of their consideration.

After I posted this, I decided to check out the US Consumer Product Safety Commission and see if they had anything listed on my treadmill. Turns out, there’s a recall on it because of problems with the control system which can cause overheating. I should be able to get the problem fixed.

Thanks for your answers!