How do I fit a full-size bed into my tiny-ass room?

Okay, I have a tiny room… no, tinier… a little smaller… okay, yeah, about that small. Like, Manhattan-apartment small. And my twin bed is not cutting it any more. So, how do I get a full-size bed in it? The usable space I have is roughly 76"x82", and I need to fit the full bed lengthwise into the 76" dimension, so there will be at least SOME room left over to actually move around a bit in my room.

Here, I made an MS Paint (not to scale): Twitpic

Getting a plain ol’ fullsize boxspring & mattress on a dinky metal bedframe doesn’t seem like it’d be much of a problem. However, my current twin mattress sits on a wooden base with three big drawers that come out the side (towards the desk in the illustration). These three drawers are big enough to hold all of my day-to-day clothes, and I’d like to be able to retain something like that.

Problem is, most of the full frames with drawers underneath are right around 76" or bigger, leaving zero room for error (if nothing else, the only outlet in my room juts out an extra 2" from the wall). Also, the ceiling to my room is also the stairway that leads to the apartment upstairs, so any kind of lofting is out.

One thing I do keep coming back to is this, without the “MALM” part. Basically, just the bookcases (or even a low dresser kind of thing) with plywood or something on top to support the mattress.

Though the more I think about it, the more I think I should just get a regular old dinky metal frame, put it on risers, and stuff milk crates under the bed. But I figured I’d ask the teeming millions for a classier solution before giving up.

I don’t have a good solution. I only came in to note that, in my first apartment, I stuck the foot of my bed into my closet (with the door taken off). Otherwise, I couldn’t fit my desk and bookcase in there.
Instead of just risers, why not put the bed high enough up that you can sit in the space beneath it? That’s what some people I knew did when faced with small apartments. They essentially made a bunk bed with a desk as the lower bed.

I would, but the upper bed would them have that diagonal part of the ceiling (the part with the bumper sticker on it) crossing right through it.

How about a Murphy bed?Ikea sofa bed?

You could put the murphy bed against the one flat wall in your apartment. They probably have beds that are a little shorter then the usuals 2 metres.

A Murphy bed is what I’d go with. After all, over half of the time you aren’t using the bed, so you might as well get it out of the way. And when you ARE using the bed, you’re not going to use that floor space.

Or you could inflate your bed every night. No joke; todays instabeds self inflate and can be hidden in a box or drawer during the day.

Or you could make the whole floor one big matress, and walk around without shoes, the japanese way.

Like lynn said, a murphy bed. If you buy one that also holds a desk/table and some drawers or shelf space, you need no other furniture in that room and it will look a lot less cluttered. Murphy beds ain’t cheap, (but you save so much on rent on a bigger apartment they are still worth it) so you might want to try and sell it to the next renter.

Get rid of the door. What you need is a thick curtain or other sound-dampening material over the door area. Then you could loft the entryway, and double your usable space.

ETA: If that were my room, I’d bung the sheetrock as well. You could paint the inside of the opposite wall,a nd then add shelving between the 2x4s. You’d be amazed how much one can store in such an area.

On the picture, your closet looks like you don’t use it efficiently at the moment. If you made shelves in it, or drawers, you would need less storage space elsewhere in your room.
If you can’t replace the door with a curtain, at least make the door into some usable storage space as well.

As someone mentioned earlier, there is a possibility of a loft bed. It would be high enough off the floor that you could fit a lot of stuff underneath. Some people put a desk under there. Or, if you don’t want to go that tall, it can just be a couple feet off the ground so you could slide a dresser down there. In college, I had an upright dresser on one side and a shelf on the other.

I can’t say for certain that a lofted bed is particularly impressive to the college-graduated opposite sex, however. But I do live in an area where space is cheap and big rooms are aplenty so they may be more common in bigger cities.

So, if the above isn’t any help, then maybe you could at least find some use/entertainment in this handy room planner.

I do have a rack on the room door; it holds all of my coats and hoodies, and that’s about all it can hold and still open to an acceptable degree. And the closet is far more full of crap now (that picture’s from when we first moved in), but yes, I do intend to make good use of it. I didn’t want to add the further complication of the closet in the OP, but I do intend to make it a lot more functional in the near future. I’ll probably overhaul it this weekend, clearing out what I can, and then seeing where I can fit shelves and such in.

I am intrigued my the murphy bed. I’d already dismissed it due to the ceiling but damned if it doesn’t look like some of them could still work.

^^^^^

Spammer reported. (woodenspace)

If the OP were still around, I’d love to know what he worked out.

Get rid of the bed, and just put the mattress on the floor. Walk across it to get to the closet.