I’m in a strange situation. Well, maybe not that strange- I’m in the process of applying for a job. The job I’m applying for has a very drawn-out recruiting process- You apply, wait a few weeks, get notified of an exam date, wait a few weeks, take the exam, wait a few weeks, get your results, and if you pass (I did ) wait a few weeks, and you get interviewed. Win them over in the interview and you start the 8-week long training. I had applied back in mid-June and currently am waiting to go in for an interview.
The problem is my current job. I work at a tutoring company, and while I enjoy the job in some respects, I’m kind of fed up with the working situation. The pay, raises, and way they handle instructor absences (you have to call to find a substitute or you get written up) is no longer worth it. This summer, since I wasn’t substitute teaching, I worked as close to full-time as they’d let me (the position isn’t full-time, but they were willing to let me work 39.99999 hours if I really wanted to.) I realized that even working that job 39 hours a week, 6 days a week, I’d only be earning the princely sum of $24,000- in fact last year I only earned $15,000 from it.
Suffice to say I’m looking forward to a job offering comparable weekly hours, two consecutive days off, awesome health benefits, retirement/pension, sick/vacation time, the whole nine yards. I guess the problem is that in some respects, I have no spine in situations. Right now I’ve kept my mouth shut about my new job, because there’s still no guarantee I’ll get it or when I would start. If I told them I was working another job soon, they’d likely cut my hours, and if the new job fell through, I’d be kind of screwed. I do intend on giving at least a two-week notice, but for this company, they often want more notice than that. I got kind of nervous because another instructor gave her two-week notice, yet was told on her last day she had to find substitutes to fill in her hours the following week because two weeks wasn’t long enough to hire someone new/rearrange the schedule. *They actually sat her down in the office and made her call people *. :eek:
If I’m quitting, I should feel no further obligation to the company, but I’m afraid the confrontation is going to stress me out to the point ‘worrying’ about what’ll happen if I can’t find subs when I put in my two-week notice. I know its totally irrational. If I knew definitively that I was going to start my new job and when I’d tell them.