Quitting a job. Some questions.

This really sucks. For a long time I was out of work. Then late last year I got sponsored for CNA classes. I passed, but on the clinicals just barely.

I got a job at a nearby care facility, worked a couple of weeks, and then was let go for time management issues. About a week later I got hired on at another care facility.

They have been wonderful. On my first day by myself I was placed on the hardest wing. I thought about quitting but one of my coworkers got me on the easiest wing. A couple of days later I said I needed to go to part time or else I wouldn’t be able to stay. They accommodated me for that too. But despite all that I am still planning on quitting tomorrow. There’s just too much that I’m having a hard time adjusting to. It takes a special kind of person to do this work, and I know I am not cut out for it. I can probably do other type of caregiver work, and in fact will be handing in an application for a company that takes care of people in their homes.
Because of some guilt and the fact that I need a job, I’m feeling sick stressing out about quitting, but I think it is for the best.

OK, now for the questions.

1. The last shift I will be working is this Saturday (4/13). Should I leave a resignation note or come in in person on Monday to quit?

2. There are a lot of reasons I am quitting, but I don’t want to get into that. So I’m just going to say that I don’t feel the job is the right fit. Does that sound OK, or would anybody phrase it differently?

3. Have any of you ever quit a job even though you needed the money?

1. NO

2. no

3. HELL NO

1. Clarification needed: are people there, specifically your supervisors, aware that you intend on quitting, or are you just going to stop showing up? Because that would be extremely unprofessional.

2. You don’t owe them any explanation at all, but if they ask for one, that’s fine.

3. Yes. Skipping the long boring story, sometimes the money just isn’t worth it.

I guess I needed to reread the questions since 1 isn’t a yes/no.

Giving less than 2 weeks notice is unprofessional.
Just not showing up is unprofessional.
You need to show up in person to report to your supervisor in person with a written letter of resignation.

Keep up the with the ‘time management problems’ and walking off jobs and ‘quitting’ won’t be problem anymore because nobody will want to hire you.

Putting in an application at another company is NOT the same thing as getting another job. You don’t know IF and/or when they are going to hire you so you may be out of work for quite a while.

I work in staffing at one of those agencies that cares for people in their homes. I can tell you straight out that if we (the agency you want to work for) find out that you quit with no notice at another caregiving job, there is no way you will get hired.
Word gets around in these places…the HR people know each other, or they know people who work in the facilities, etc. You don’t want to try to get another similar job without a decent reference from this one. If you give two weeks notice, show up for your shifts, and leave on good terms, you’ll get a decent reference and be eligible for hire elsewhere. Don’t shoot yourself in the foot, please.

Thank you for the advice. I will follow it.

Oh, and to clarify, I was not planning on just not showing up.

Anyway, I’ll hand in my two weeks notice letter tonight. The director who runs the facility won’t see it until Monday, but the person who makes the schedules will probably know tonight or tomorrow.

Give them reasonable notice. I’m sure they’re used to this, lots of people just can’t do the job. You should try to give them two weeks notice, but let them know if you’re willing to leave as soon as they find someone else.

HR…you mean the cushy offices full of chatter box hens who only exist because upper management is to lazy too handle their own back office administration and affairs?

If big mouths like that are actually having influence over who gets hired and who doesn’t, no one would want to work for those companies anyways.
This should be pretty simple :

Leaving without two weeks notice is no big deal. It depends on how you handled it and whom you handled it with - understanding managers DO exist.
Leaving without any notification at all might work against you in a future application.

HR…I mean the two or three people in our company who interview, hire, train, place, and/or fire every applicant who comes through the door. I believe the company I work for may be missing the layer you’re referring to.
I don’t do the hiring/firing, but I do staffing and I work directly with the hirers/firers. It’s a small town, staffing people know each other, word gets around from facility to care manager to office, etc. And because our particular company starts out at a higher rate, people do want to work for it.
I guess it depends on the company/town/whatever, but that’s my experience.

Do not give a reason for leaving in your resignation letter. You do not need to, and it could possibly work against you. Here is a link to some sample resignation letters.

If your company has an exit interview, you could choose to reveal the reason at that time. I think saying the job is not a good fit for you sounds like a good and truthful reason to me.

I agree with Tamex…“not a good fit” is a perfectly acceptable reason for leaving a position. If you go on to apply to a home health-type position, you can stress that facility work just wasn’t the right fit for you. Perhaps you would feel more comfortable with the one-on-one care you would be providing as a PSA or home health aide, etc. There is a world of difference between the two types of work, and both businesses understand this.
I hope your job hunt goes well.

I know you don’t want to get into it, and it’s probably too late, but are you sure you want to quit? They’re wonderful, you’re on the easiest ward, they accommodated your schedule, and you need a job.

You NEVER just quit a job*. You always leave for a better opportunity. Do you have an offer from your next job? No? Then stay until you do. Trust me.

You could get a bad rep and get blacklisted, it could take a longer time than you think to get another job, etc.

• unless on the advice of your lawyer.

I told everybody tonight that I was putting in my two weeks and I left a letter for the executive director of the place to read when he comes in on Monday.

Funny, I went to that Website before leaving for work. My letter could have been a little better, but basically I praised my coworkers and superiors and said I was going for other career opportunities.

Yeah. There’s no way I’m going into specifics. There are a few things to complain about there, but the other CNAs seem to do alright despite that, so I know that part of it is me.

I’m sure. Tonight I was on the hardest wing, although it was an easy night. Well, relatively speaking.

Anyway, leaving aside workplace complaints, which are legitimate, there’s also me. I find I’m getting stressed out easily, and I always feel stressed out at work. I have bad feet, but I found that popping two or three Aleve and two or three Advil help with that (Edit, each pair of an Aleve and Advil are spaced out over three or four hours). But then I go home with a sore back. And yeah, plenty of people do hard work and come home feeling sore, so I’m being being a pussy. Fine, whatever.

When I get home I have my disabled wife, who, if she needs help I feel angry about helping. We have care givers and soon we’ll have round the clock care. But I still might need to help, and I don’t want to feel angry at having to help my wife. Even if I don’t have to help her I feel stressed and sore for a while after work.

At any rate there is a home help place I’ve applied to and actually got hire on with before, but I turned it down because I had a job at the time. I feel confident about this place. And if not, there are others. I’ll find a job one way or another.

Where I’m at I never mentioned the previous job I was let go of, and as far as I know they know nothing about it, and if I leave that job off of any other resumes no-one else will know either.

I’m no expert, but couldn’t a future employer find out about previous employment through a background check, even if you leave it off your resume? It might be best to keep it on there even if you were let go. At a job I had a few years ago someone was fired for leaving out part of their job history. The company considered leaving it off to be dishonest. I’m not sure if it was a similar situation to yours (leaving off a job he’d been let go from, and perhaps telling management he’d never been let go from a position).

Not to hijack, but I’m sort of curious as to why the OP even needs to ask these questions? I thought it was pretty much common knowledge that you give an employer 2 weeks notice when quitting.
Considering that the OP was fired from one job for “time management issues” (which I assume means “not showing up for work”) and is now looking to quit a part time job after a couple of days, I he/she you might have some other issues besides bad career choice.

Seriously. That last thing you want is to get yourself blackballed from the “cleaning up old people shit for a living” industry.

Bzzzz wrong. It meant I was too slow on the job. And then when I rushed to catch up it made things worse.