How do I restore the finish of my corian countertop?

You didn’t seem to get an answer, so will tell you about ours. About five years ago we had the old tile kitchen and bath counter tops torn out and replaced with Corian. It has been very satisfactory. The pamphlet from Corian that came with it said to use 400 grit and then the Scotch-Brite pad, which we have done. We even had one not-too-deep cut from a knife. The sanding soon removed it without a noticeable depression, and the pad smoothed it to a semi-gloss like the rest, and it can’t be seen at all.

We did a repolish with the Scotch-Brite pad just once a while back to give the surfice a little more shine.

We are very pleased with it.

Bauxite and polymethyl methacrylate.

CMC fnord!

Woodworker’s Hardware has the best prices I’ve found for individual sanding disks.
http://wwhardware.com/catalog.cfm/ProductID/3M5XNHH%20VFN

Indeed. Corian and other solid surfacing materials are full thickness, not to be confused with SSV or solid surfacing veneer.

Corian is a solid service just like granite, It’s actually mixed together like concrete is. We’ve been working with the material for several years and we have done multiple tops, with 0 complaints. When sanding you should start at a 400 grit sand the entire thing off all residue and repeat this process with 600 grit and then 800, after this you should by some counter top wax, wax it then use a buffer to take the wax off. If these steps are done correctly your counter top will be fully restored!

I had a couple of dull spots from using scouring powder to remove some bad stains in my Corian. I used a Scotch Bright no-scratch pad and a very small amount of mineral oil and rubbed it in well. I also did that but with less pressure around the edges of the counter top which were slightly dull. Then I did all the remaining area with a lite once over. I removed the mineral oil with a couple of passes with paper toweling. I then finished up with a product called Countertop Magic and my Corian now looks as good as new with a very even finish even when viewed in critical lighting conditions.:slight_smile:

I’ve done many hundreds of square feet of corian. It somehow falls out the back door of Dupont’s warehouse.

Wet sanding helps a lot.

From rough I use 100, 200, 400, 600 grit paper and then use automotive rubbing compound and then polishing compound.

All of the paper and compounds can be gotten at Pep Boys or any of those types.

The final gloss seems mostly dependent on how aggressive you are with the rubbing compound.

If you have a crack clean it with acetone and then a bag of ice on each side of the crack for a while. this will contract the material and slightly open the crack. Squirt in some wicking CA glue (super thin super glue), take the ice away and warm things up with a blow dryer. The crack will disappear. you can scrape away the excess glue with a razor.

And the number one rule of corian is “No crockpots”.