How do I stop critter from chewing wires in my truck?

Coat the wires/cables with Vicks VapoRub? Just a guess, and I don’t know if it will deteriorate the insulation on the wires/cables. The company’s website has this information:

Q: What ingredients are in Vicks VapoRub?

A: The active ingredients in Vicks VapoRub are camphor (a cough suppressant and topical analgesic), eucalyptus oil (a cough suppressant) and menthol (a cough suppressant and topical analgesic). The inactive ingredients in Vicks VapoRub include cedarleaf oil, nutmeg oil, petrolatum, thymol and turpentine oil.

Pack rats got my odometer wires. Also my speedometer wires. I solved it by parking away from the wooded area next to the parking lot at work.

If I left the hood open, I’d end up with an engine covered in leaves. Our mechanic said he doesn’t have this problem because he’s got a resident hawk that keeps rodents, etc, under control. Hmmmmm, how do I persuade a hawk to live in the tree next to the parking pad??

We had a horrible spring a couple of years back. Mice were building nests under the hoods in both of our cars and in the spare tire compartment in the way back (Subaru Crosstrek & Forester). They were peeing and pooping like crazy. Our cars stunk to high-heaven. The mice were even riding around with us. One came out from under my car when I had it parked at the grocery store and one came out from under my husband’s car after he exited a car wash. He stopped to flip the rear window wiper back down and saw a mouse scurry away. We put Bounce sheets (original scent) everywhere in our cars. It seemed to help a little but they were still around. My husband set traps and would catch one every once in a while.

The only other thing we had to try was an ultrasonic device. Since I plugged it in over a year ago, we’ve not had one bit of trouble. :crossed_fingers:t4:

Or you could get an outdoor/barn cat

That’s a lucky result as testing shows those devices don’t work.

That would have kept me out of the cars!

I’ve had problems with rats nesting on the engine on two cars, and putting a trouble light with an led lamp under the hood seems to keep them away. It’s a pain as you have to take it out every time you want to use the car, but I am used to it now. You’ll drive off with it a few times when you forget to remove it, so make sure you keep the cord away from the fan and belts.