How do I stop the damn MacBook from dimming?

OK, I have the power cord in and in “System Preferences” have it so it’s not supposed to go to sleep for 20 minutes. I’ve UNchecked the box so that the machine will NOT dim before going to sleep.

Seems that if I don’t touch it for 5 - 10 minutes (hard to tell), the screen dims. No, dammit! I don’t want the screen to dim EVER.

Help if you can, thanks.

Go to System Preferences. Select “Energy Saver” (looks like a lightbulb). Above the slider bars where you select the sleep time should be two tabs - “Sleep” and “Options”.
Click on Options. There should be a checkbox which says “Automatically reduce the brightness of the display before display sleep”. Uncheck this box, and see if the problem goes away.

By the way, is this one of the new MacBooks? In this thread, I’ve been trying to decide between a MacBook and MacBook Pro. If it’s one of the new ones, how do you like the glossy display? Any problems with reflections? Does it get hot like the Pros are rumored to? How do you like the new style of keyboard?

Hey, SN, read the OP again–I did what you said and it didn’t work!

Arrrrrgh!

It’s just a MacBook, not a “Pro.” The display does seem shiny, but it’s nice and bright; no prob with reflections. The 13" are a little bit small for me. It seems to run a little hot but not terribly so.

Get the bigger display.

D:smack:H! Sorry 'bout that. I thought you were talking about the other tab. My old G3 iBook (running 10.4.6) has separate settings for “Power Adapter” and “Battery.” Have you verified both sets?

Well, I changed the one for Power Adapter, because that’s what I mostly use. Yep, verified, baby!

Don’t know what to tell you, then. It seems to work for me. To double-check, I just set the Energy Saver options on mine as follows:

Sleep Tab:
“Put the computer to sleep when it is inactive for:” (Slider set to 10 minutes).
“Put the display to sleep when the computer is inactive for:” (Slider set to 10 minutes).
“Put the hard disk(s) to sleep when possible” (checked).

Options Tab:
Wake Options: Both checked
Other Options:
“Automatically reduce the brightness of the display before display sleep” (unchecked)
“Restart automatically after a power failure” (unchecked)
“Show battery status in the menu bar” (checked)
Processor Performance: “Highest”

I closed the Energy Saver panel, and waited. The screen did not dim at all. It went straight from bright to off when the iBook went to sleep ten minutes later.

Yeah, I made those changes. I tried setting the display sleep time to 1 min, and there was no dimming before it went black.

It seems that there is dimming that occurs in the MacBook no matter WHAT you set the energy saver options to.

Anybody got a clue?

C’mon, someone, answer the question. Thanks.

It looks like you’re not the only one who wants this.

MacBook Display Dimming

This thread here had a possible solution:

I did it and it seems to be working. Thanks!