How do spacecraft take photos at 10,000km/h without much blur?

I think my subject line pretty much explains it.

Mats K
Melbourne

Depends what you’re taking a photograph of. The farther something is from you, the “slower” it appears to move when you are moving relative to it. So a spacecraft traveling several thousand km/sec will not have trouble taking a photograph of something very far away. Similarly, a spacecraft traveling several thousand km/sec relative to Earth will not have any trouble taking a photograph of something moving slowly relative to the spacecraft.

Carl Sagan talked about this in “Pale Blue Dot” with regards to the Voyagers. The Voyager cameras were mounted on a rotating platform which they turned at exactly the right rate in the opposite direction in order to counter the blurring effects of the spacecraft’s motion. I think they also had to use delicate stabilizer jets to counter the spacecrafts skewed movements from all this action. So some math/physics and finely-tuned equipment will do the job.

Of course when you turn to follow the planet or whatever you are photographing, the background will blur. But that is irrelevant because the background is too dim to show up anyway when imaging something as bright as a planet up-close.

Um, Mats, the earth travels around the sun at 67,000mph & at the same time its rotating at 1000mph x (Multiply by cosine of your latitude to see how fast the Earth is rotating where you are.) & we can still take nice pictures of things in space.