[QUOTE=Number]
But it could very easily make money if those gambling sites were permitted to operate inside the US. By choosing to ban instead of regulate, the government gives up a huge source of revenue and instead costs itself money on enforcement. The parallels with Prohibition and the War on Drugs are inescapable.
I donated to the Poker Players Alliance to lobby against this law. Now that it’s been snuck through they’re working on getting online poker the same exemption that exists for lotteries and horse racing. Who knows if it will do any good.
[/QUOTE]
I was going to say something similar, then found this article that sums it up pretty well:
http://news.independent.co.uk/business/news/article1800652.ece
I am on the horse-racing end of internet gambling, so not affected by this bill, but agree the way this bill was pushed through is sickening. The sites I use for betting horses are ones that are “approved” by the racing industry. A bit of the money they collect goes back to purses which I think is good for racing. Other bettors use the “illegal” offshore sites, and they get very nice rebates for betting there, but I don’t like the fact that those offshore sites don’t contribute anything back to improve racing.
So in one sense, this bill might be seen as a benefit to horse racing, now all the money will come in through sites that will help to support racing. But I am still against it. I dojn’t think it is the federal government’s place to prohibit people from betting from their homes if their state allows it.
I think they will figure out a way to make it legal to play poker online in the US, tax it, and I would see that as a win-win situation.
A bit off subject, but this part of the article looked very strange to me.
“The National Football League, too - worried about corruption of sporting events because of gambling on their outcome - made a ban on internet gambling its top lobbying project this year.”
The only reason I can think they would do this, is because they knew online betting would soon be made legal, and they were hoping to get the offshore ones out of business first so they could come in and get the profits when it was legal. I don’t believe for a minute that the NFL thinks the fact that folks like to bet on football, especially the Monday night games and the Superbowl, is bad for the NFL.