How Do You Find Purpose In Life?

I was being silly CrazyCatLady about the brainwashing.
I went to Roman Catholic Church and school for years and years and they couldn’t make me believe in their doctrine!

What is your passion for life?

My passions in life are my animals and the people I love. I’m an emergency vet tech, and sometimes that passion for animals is the only thing that keeps me going back to work. My job is often dirty and disgusting and frustrating and utterly heartbreaking, but I love it. It’s good to be able to help the ones we can help, and to help the people who love them, and to help the people who loved the animals we couldn’t help. Some people probably think I’m wasting my talents and education being “just a tech” but it fulfills me in a way no other type of work ever has or ever could.

CrazyCatLady my daughter shares your passion. She too is a kennel tech working her way up. She has always had a heart for animals. Devote Veegan. I think it is a noble job.

I really want to get this dental program off the ground for single parent low-income families. I already have people interested and I am setting up a board now. I think every child deserves dental treatment.

[hijack for sequential thread titles]
As I scan this forum, my web browser has placed the following thread titles next to each other:

How Do You Find Purpose In Life?

and…

**bumping breasts in crowded places… **

Clearly, this indicates a divine presence in the universe, and proves beyond any reasonable doubt that this divine presence seeks to provide me with personal guidance.
[/hijack for sequential thread titles]

On a more serious note, I can still recall the first interview question I was ever asked when seeking a job as a computer programmer:

Interviewer: Do you know what we make here?

CrazyMonkey: You provide technical consulting and software devlopment services for the such and such market and blah blah blah blah…

Interviewer: Well, I can see you’ve checked out our website, but truthfully, that’s all bullshit. Do you know what we really make here?

CrazyMonkey:??? :confused: ???

Interviewer: At {ThisCompany}, we make one thing: money. Some people, who are already rich enough to own their own businesses, pay us to make their businesses a little more efficient, so they can have a little bit more money. Our goal isn’t to produce software, or furniture, or art, or any other product, and we certainly don’t cure cancer, feed the hungry, or promote world peace. All we do is help people with money make more money. Are you OK with that?

At the time, I thought that was about the stupidest question I’d ever heard. Didn’t this guy read my resume? It said I just graduated with a comp. sci. degree, not some kind of sociology crap. I was all about makin’ some loot!

Of course, that was about 7 years ago. Now I’ve had a chance to establish myself and take care of a few basic needs like shelter, food, and clothing, as well as acquire my reasonable share of toys. Thinking back on that question now bugs me, as it must have been bugging the guy who was interviewing me, or else how would he think to ask such a question?

So do I regret my attitude at the time, or feel that I wasted years of my life before I gained a greater perspective on the world and began to feel a need to do something greater than just look out for my financial well-being? Not really. Purpose isn’t something you can really plan for, and “Find a purpose” doesn’t go too well on a to-do list. It’s just something that has to come to you over time, based on your experiences in life.

Right now my passion in life is my kids. They are young and new and the novelty hasn’t worn off yet :slight_smile:

Before kids my passion was school and work and I managed to combine the two to do some very nice things for my local animal shelter where I volunteered. I really did love my job as it was fun and rewarding and I hadn’t yet smashed into the brick wall of nepotism yet. I’ve always loved learning so school is a natural place for me.

I think our purpose in life changes as we change. Crazymonkey touched on it very well with his interview example. I learned in psychology about how when certain basic needs are met (safety, food, shelter) we branch forth to pursue more altruistic ‘needs.’ The idea was when the body is satiated we can then work to fulfill the soul. You certainly can’t dedicate yourself to saving the whales when you don’t know where your next meal is coming from!

I can’t say finding religion is the first step as I’ve worked very hard to lose my religion over the years and feel I’ve made the best choice possible for myself.

Whatever your purpose is, best of luck with it!

For me that would be the absolute last thing I’d want to do, accept other peoples direction as my own purpose in life. But to each his own. Let’s be blunt: unless you’re a very special individual, your religion was not given to you by god; it was given to you by other people. (And I’m being kind here; I don’t personally believe there are any humans who received their religion directly from god.)

I believe purpose comes from within. I’m happy in that I’ve accomplished some good things, and I continue to try to on a daily basis.

I agree with your initial point that planning is key. If you don’t plan on being an ER nurse, it’s highly unlikely you’ll become one. And that’s true of many things. But alot of it is dynamic too. You try to do the best you can given the tools you have at the moment.

Isabelle, if you wish to witness, the place to do so is in Great Debates, not in a fake poll in IMHO.

Lockdown.