How do you grip the steering wheel?

YES! forgot about the limp wrist thing. It’s not really the official pose unless you do it like that.

That and “Scrubs” are what simultaneously run through my head when I see it.

The airbag isn’t an issue if, like race car drivers, you let go of the wheel before the collision.

In any event my 2014 Civic was designed for 10 & 2, and that is the most comfortable position for me anyway.

At the bottom, with my prehensile penis.

My car, a 2019 MX-5 Miata, has a thicker portions at 10 and 2, which makes it more comfortable to hold it there. So my hand’s are pretty much at 10 and 2, except for when my right hand is on the gearshift.

I wonder if there’s a correlation between hand position and the types of cars people drive, ie. sporty cars versus luxurious cars with very low effort power steering.

OK, real answer:

10 and 2, or 9 and 3, or 5, or 6, or 12, or 11… It depends on whatever is comfortable at the time.

10, 2 and dick is called the “Dr. Pepper.”

When I’m cruising down the highway, left hand at 12, either gripping the wheel or resting my wrist on top of it. On a long stretch of a couple of hours or more I’ll move my hand down to 6 occasionally. The rest of the time, driving through town or freeway interchanges, its both hands usually somewhere in the vicinity of 9 and 10 / 2 and 3.

Way back in the dinosaur days while I was in high school, the driver ed class recommended the “10 and 2” position for the hands on the wheel. Immediately after getting my license, I switched to the “9 and 3” position as I found that works well for me. The only time I have not done that was the sole road test I’ve had to take since that time. During that test, I reverted back to the “10 and 2” position.

I grip my steering wheel with a vengeance.

My Wife’s Subaru Ascent has a heated steering wheel. At the 10 and 2 position.

My first car had a steering wheel that was occasionally heated. Like when the top was stowed and it was daytime in the Mojave Desert in Summer. Fingertip driving for a bit.

Pick any two numbers on a clock, I’ve had one or both hands on any of them, and occasionally none. But mostly right hand at 1:00, left arm against the window or over it when it’s down. On the highway it’s traditional 10 and 2.

9 and 3 now and slide the wheel through my hands. It took a while because I was taught 10 and 2 and cross over hands during a turn. The RCMP teach the drivers to use 9/3 and slide the wheel through your hands, which I’ve adopted. It makes control of the car much better when you’re driving “spiritedly”. I do have a manual so the right hand is often on the stick .

10, 2, and 4, just like Dr. Pepper taught me. What?

I was taught 10 and 2 in Driver’s Ed decades ago but now use 9 and 3. not sure why/when I changed.

do you mean The Mounties think 9 and 3 is best? because cool, they have horses!

10 and 2 since I learned to drive in 1966, a habit I never even thought about, until a few years ago when I dropped my arms to 9 and 3 because of airbags. Nowdays I still catch myself at 10 and 3, but not very often.

What enipla said.
And because it seems least tiring and most comfortable on longer drives as it allows me to rest my arms on the arm rests. I have to actually concentrate on what I’m doing if steering right handed(like pulling up to a toll booth on a tollway with payment in hand)

Sure but the grip for a horse is totes different…and involves your legs! :grin:

In good weather usually:
a) Right hand around 2 or 3, left hand can’t reach the wheel because my elbow is out the window; or
b) Left hand at 9, right hand holding my drink.

In bad weather: Somewhere around 9 and 3, or 10 and 2.

I do all of the above. If I’m tired and stuck in traffic, I might hug the wheel and even put my chin on top of it.

One thing I’ll never understand are those people who don’t touch the rim, or even the spokes, just place one palm behind the cross section.