How do you grip the steering wheel?

Left hand at 9 (just above the spoke). Right hand on my lap. I’ll use my right hand at 3 in heavy traffic or slick roads.

Comfort is important on trips. Makes a difference at the end of the day. I hate having knotted up shoulders after a long drive.

I grip at 10 and 2. Because on both my 2002 car and wife’s new F-150 that is where the bulges on the steering wheel where you are supposed to grip it are. The 9 and 3 positions are where the large cross member with the radio and other controls are and it is not comfortable to hold the wheel there.

Maybe if we are supposed to grip at 9 and 3 now someone ought to tell the automobile designers. They haven’t got the memo yet.

Actually, I was thinking about this thread while out driving this morning, and I realized that what I posted previously (8 and 4) really only applies on the highway. Around town, I drive with my left hand at 12 and my right hand on the stick shift. It’s a manual transmission car and there is LOTS of stop and go traffic in my neighborhood.

This one, mostly. In part because Tesla Autopilot requires you to hold the wheel, and does this by detecting torque. Grabbing the wheel at 8 and letting it dangle provides the necessary torque (Autopilot prevents you from actually inducing any steering). It’s also comfortable for regular driving and I got used to one-handed driving after a couple decades on a manual.

At 8 and 4, with my elbows gently held at my sides. This mimics the position you hold the reins in dressage riding – I even keep my thumbs “on top” like you’re supposed to. Old habits are hard to break.
:grinning:

Almost always just with just the left hand. I drove MT cars for many years. I’m usually L-12, or L-9 w/ my elbow on the door. Sometimes if my left hand is out the window, then it’s R-12. I’m almost never with both hands on the wheel, except in terrible weather.

I drive a Jeep Wrangler with a manual transmission. I drive with my left hand at about twelve o’clock and my right hand on the gear shift knob unless I am on the highway

Left hand, 9. Right hand, 4:30-5 unless it’s scarily icy or it’s a rare 70mph road, then it’s up at 3. I’m left-handed, and my right hand probably isn’t doing much of anything to help steer unless the road conditions are dicey.

In light/no traffic, usually left hand on 8, or one or the other on 6. When other vehicles are around or I’m driving a complex road usually 10, or 10 and 2.

How do you grip the steering wheel?

In Boston traffic, with about 500 pounds of pressure.

I said 10 and 2 earlier, but thanks to this thread I’ve started taking more notice of how I hold the steering wheel, and I realized I often grip the wheel higher up, with both hands. More like 11 and 1. I think I do this because the Miata has such quick steering, it only requires a half turn or so of the wheel to take even a sharp corner. So with my hands higher up I can just take one hand off the wheel, turn it 180 degrees or so with the other, without having to reposition my hands.