How do you keep a 7 yr. old girl with two broken arms occupied?

Thanks for the punch line, ParentalAdvisory. That’s really all I came for.:stuck_out_tongue:

The poor kid.

This will be the summer that she will never forget.

How about sending her “secret pal” cards and notes and doing the same for the sister, who is feeling more than martyr-ish for what her sister did on purpose. (Yeah for sibling logic!)

I second the Painting. Only using her feet. She could have a contest with her sister on who can make a foot painting look like an animal/house/whatever. Could be loads of fun.

Teach the sisters how to play chess and cards. Boardgames can be loads of fun at this age.

How the hell would someone do a Game Boy with the hands in casts?

Get her some CDs

Get her a gift certificate for Blockbuster

Get her a cheap tape recorder so she can keep an oral diary of her time in casts. It’ll be interesting to her years down the road.

Take her to an art museum

Take her out to eat. I imagine she’s used to being fed by now.

Organize a sleep-over for her and her friends.

Take her to get her hair cut or styled.

Poor kid…

Wow. My SO just broke his right elbow, and although his left arm is ok now, for the first couple days it was sore from having been jarred badly in his bike accident. The amount of the limitations on him right now are staggering sometimes - I can’t imagine if he had in fact broken the other one! It would certainly make going to work a lot harder/more stressful than it already is at the moment! Poor kid!

Is she able to use a mouse or a keyboard (at least the number/arrow pads?). There are plenty of video games that don’t require too much input other than using the arrows or a couple of other keys. Maybe an advernture-style game, where you collect items and have to figure out a puzzle with them? These games don’t usually have a time-component, and you don’t get into fights where you have to make quick decisions. The only games I can think of off-hand are the Sam and Max games (though they’re old, they might be hard to find) and Grim Fandango, though that one is recommended for 13+ due to “suggestive themes” and “animated violence” and “use of cigars/cigarettes and alcohol”. I don’t know if her parents would allow her to play that (though its really not that bad - more comedic violence than anything else, besides, all the characters are dead to begin with). Take a look at it with her parents, but also if you go to a good computer game store and ask for something similar for her age, they might be able to help you.

And maintaining flexibility in her fingers, even just by using a keyboard will be a good thing in the long run. I’m not sure how her arms are placed, but perhaps investing in an ergonomic keyboard (the kind thats split down the middle and on an angle) could be a good idea, as it might allow her to use more keys. I suppose the same comments go for console games, too.

get her a cordless mouse and surf
books on tape are good
visits from friends
the library generally has story time during the day
games

YEEEEEE, ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!

Um, teach her to play the piano with her nose? Help her discover the art of complex tongue-folding?

A set of one foot high monkey bars?

Get her a playstation and get a game called Dance Dance Fever and similar games. It has a pad that she has to stem on in paterns and in sequence to music. Lost of jumping around to get all that pent up energy going. Requires no hand input other than turning it on. The food pads also act as controllers.

Also take her to museums, plays, fairs and possibly roller coasters (?)

get her some legos and lots of dolls

GAWD! I need medication!!

stem == step

food == foot

Mea Culpa.

Thanks all. I’m going to print this out and give it to my boss.

My brother broke both arms compund fractures near the wristed that required surgery when he was 12. He fell in excess of 20 feet from a very tall tree.

His was during the school year though, so he had a teacher three hours a day and then he had to do “homework” on a cassette recorder and that managed to keep him busy part of the day.

At first he listened to a lot of books on tape and watched too much T.V. He learned to play chess calling the squares by the numbers, so that he could tell his opponent and they would move the pieces. Short visits from various friends who brought comic books or something from their homes helped break up the monotony and give him something to look forward to.

After about the first month he pretty much was back to doing everything he’d done before (not climbing trees though) just without the use of his arms. He played hide and seek, soccer (“If they called hands it wasn’t me!”) and leg wrestling.

One time my friends and I painted his fingernails and toenails while he slept. :smiley:

By that time he could manipulate his arms at the shoulder so he could play games like Trouble and Risk, if everyone was patient while he moved pieces about or helped him with them if the angle was too awkward.

He still participated in scouting activites. He was the patient while they learned first aid and practiced first aid carries and such. The awkwardness of the casts make it a little more realistic.

We still took trips to the zoo, museum, sporting events and plays and concerts put on by school groups.

Sometimes when he’d say he was bored. We’d put it back on him and ask him what he felt like doing.

Other times we’d have goofy races. For example, carrying a spoon with an egg on it in their mouth, or partners one putting baggy clothing on the other that couldn’t use their arms, or watermelon eating contests and bobbing for apples.

It’s just not going to be a good summer for hanging out at the pool and on the beach. She can still watch fireworks displays, go to baseball games and kiddie cnncerts. Summer isn’t ruined, thousands of kids have fun summers with greater problems than two broken arms.

Hope she heals quickly.

I guess juggling is out…

Sorry. :slight_smile:

Did anyone else think that the title was the opening to a bad joke?

I wouldn’t put her on a swing…