How do you make coffee?

I suppose I could just google search this, but I’m more interested in the opinins of y’all.

I’m not a huge coffee drinker, and less of a coffee maker. I often have trouble judging just how much coffee to put into a drip-maker. A few years ago I made some at my sister’s place, and used more than twice what I should have. My BIL, far from being mad, treated it like crack cocaine. He was a little hyper for the rest of the day.

Yesterday, my brother gifted me with a one-cup drip maker. I wanted only half a cup, so used a large heaping teaspoon (probably just over 1 tbs), and what I got looked like weak tea. I poured the contents of the cup back through the filter, and the result was just about right.

What is the general amount I should be using? Should there be an extra scoop “for the pot”?

Depends on how strong you like it. Everyone i know makes it different. I use about(I’m guessing here, i use a scoop that came with a tin of coffee years ago to measure and don’t know how much it holds) 30ml per 12 cups of coffee. But i like it very weak. My dad uses almost twice that, and most people seem to like his coffee. And this one fellow i use to live with used about 5 times what i used, though no one but him liked his coffee.

I’m not sure what you mean by an extra one for the pot but i’m guessing no, you don’t need one.

Well, the “rule of thumb” for coffee is one level Tbsp. for each “cup” of water. By “cup”, I don’t mean measuring cup, I mean 6oz cup, which is how coffee makers are marked off (don’t ask me why). However, those “one cup” coffee makers seem more designed to fill a mug, which could be well over 6oz, probably approaching 12oz. A coffee scoop you can buy in the coffee and tea aisle of any grocery store is 2 Tbsp.

So your first step is to find out how much coffee your cup will hold. Fill the coffee mug with water and pour it into a measuring cup, and there ya go. Now, let’s say you have an 8oz mug and want to make a half of that, that would be 4oz or just under what the standard “coffee cup” would be, so you’d want just a shade under a Tbsp of coffee. If you’re using kitchen spoons to measure with, you could be wildly overestimating how much coffee you’re using.

You may just have to play with it a little bit, though, til you get it how you like it.

This is my experience–we usually make about 2 or 3 ‘cups’ for every mug of coffee per person. I don’t drink it, though, and my dad likes his strong, so YMMV.

French press, filtered water, coffee from Boca Java. We use about 10 scoops for eight cups of coffee.

I just eyeball it about halfway up the filter and then throw in a pinch of salt. However after more than three cups you can feel your hair vibrating. Red Bull has nothing on my coffee.

I use a Farberware percolator, put in three or four cups of water (numbers and lines are inside the pot), then put three or four scoops of coffee in the upper holder (I used the scoop that comes with the coffee). I usually heap the scoops a bit because I like my coffee a bit strong.

I always found this measurement to be more troubling than it was worth. I’d venture to say not many people use a drip coffee maker for 1 cup of coffee, and it’s of course a pain to put coffee into the filter one teaspoon at a time.

My own personal rule of thumb is 1/2 cup (true half cupu - 4 ounces) of grounds per 12 ‘cup’ pot of water. More or less to taste. This serves me well as I think of making coffee as “a pot of coffee” or “a half a pot of coffee”, I would never go below a 1/4 pot of coffee.

That’s a term I got from my parents, who probably got it from someone else. The rule is that if your “pot” takes 8 scoops, use 9. If it takes 4, use 5. I guess the theory is that some will go to waste. IME, using a 1-cup maker, most of the grounds are stuck to the sides while the water has already drained out – they haven’t had any time to steep. In the old days, when I had that kind of maker, I’d pour in a little water, scrape down the sides, and repeat until the cup was full. Otherwise, I’d end up with tea.

Filter the water in the Brita

Pour water into reservoir

put filter in

Toss in 1/2 cup of Eight O’Clock Columbian

Turn it on

Get the French Vanilla out of the fridge.

Wait

Drink

Not much help here - we make Americanos, rather than coffee, in order to justify the insanely expensive Breville espresso machine we bought last year.

A good Americano is a slime experience, however - two scoops for 4 oz. of coffee, add some hot water and milk to suit. No better way to start off the day - yummy.

This must be the 4th or 5th thread on this in the past couple of months. Oh well, I’m always happy to push my agenda of cold-brewed coffee. Sixteen TBSP of coffee grounds in a pitcher with 64 ounces of water. Let it sit on the counter overnight, up to 24 hours. Strain out the grounds through a fine sieve and drink iced or heat in the micro. Never gets bitter, doesn’t have to be refrigerated, and you get the added benefit of all the subtle flavors that can disappear when you pour boiling water over coffee.

I’ve been meaning to try this for a while. Do you mix the coffee grounds in with the water or just let them sit on the bottom?

I must be doing it wrong - I meant to say sublime, but caught it well after the edit window closed.:o

My coffee comes with a measured scoop. Fill it and you do not have to think about it.

Initially, most of the grounds will float. After they become saturated, I give the whole mess a stir and they all sink to the bottom. That’s it.

Boil water in electric kettle. When it clicks off, turn on coffee grinder set at 4 servings. Pour grounds into French press, pour in water up to bottom of top band, stir well. Let sit 4 minutes. Plunge and serve.

I don’t make coffee anymore. I use fresh ground coffee and an espresso machine (Mr. Coffee brand, cost $30 at Walmart, works like a charm) and have lattes instead.

Thanks, sounds easy. I’ll try it tomorrow.

I’m very snobbish about good coffee. Sometimes too much so for my own good. So I use a burr grinder on the setting of the brew type I’m using for the freshest coffee flavor.

You wanted to know what amount of coffee I use. 1 gram of coffee bean per ounce of water, which I weigh out pre-grind. You don’t need to be that precise though. One tablespoon per cup (four ounces) should be good enough.