How do you make your guacamole?

I use the jist of what’s been mentioned already but with one imprtant addition… Worchestershire. Not a lot but it does make a discernable improvement.

Yeah, I’m with puly on this one. Adore cumin. I buy the seeds whole and grind it by the jar, but I can’t see it in guacamole.

For 1 whole advocado I add seeded and chopped tomatoes (as many as is your preference), a dollop - less than 1/4 cup - of low fat sour cream and maybe 1/3 a packet of Simply Organic guacamole mix. The ingredients in the packet are are onion, salt, sugar, red pepper, garlic, black pepper, cilantro and citric acid. I’ve certainly tried to add all those ingredients separately (save the citric acid) but they’ve nailed the correct proportions.

I’ve never had a better guacamole and it gets rave reviews. If I’m taking it to a party I add lime juice and cilantro if it’s handy, but I’ve also got some “soap” friends.

Mayo in guac?

Don’t be that guy.

No kidding! Reading that makes my stomach turn.

My guac is:

Mash up avocados.
Chop up garlic and red onion, add to avocados.
Chop cilantro, add to mix.
Lots of salt, pepper, and whatever spice I’m feeling (Tony’s Creole – spicy version-- has been a yummy addition lately).
Spritz of lime juice (or lemon if I’m out of lime)
Sometimes tomato, if it’s around.

My friend’s husband makes his by broiling some jalapeños and tomatoes in the oven (charring them a bit) and I can’t lie, it’s pretty delicious. I’ve been meaning to try that, but I’m too lazy.

Avocado, copious lime juice, piles of minced garlic, just the tiniest bit of tomato/pepper/onion/whatever, all seasoned with salt, cumin, coriander and cayenne pepper.

I once went to a preppy Georgetown grad student party where the “guacamole” was just mashed avocados. No salt. No lime juice. Not a hint of flavor. Just a bowl of avocado.

Made me miss California like never before.

Quibble: too many tomatoes, for me, runs the risk of making it watery.

At least a bowl of mashed avocado is a bowl of mashed avocado, and that’s pretty awesome already. When people are adding ketchup and crushed oreo cookies and broccoli, or whatever the fuck they’ve been talking about in this thread, give me mashed avocado any day.

We make it with mashed avocado, a scoop of salsa, and lemon/lime juice. In my mind, guacamole is the marriage of the richness of avocado with the brightness of citrus, with associated notes of salt and spices from other stuff. But if you’re using salty chips, you don’t need to add salt to the guac.

Adding sour cream or mayonnaise or other fats to guacamole is just crazy talk, because the avocado already has all the richness and creaminess you need, and more. So the point of guacamole is to take this awesome fruit, already near perfection, add flavors that the avocado doesn’t already have to create some crazy beyond awesome more-than-perfection. And so the natural additions of salt, lime juice, garlic/onion, and perhaps some fresh chilies or other spices/herbs. Tomatoes don’t detract, but they don’t add much either. Before you add a goddam thing to guacamole, ask yourself, “What is this ingredient going to add to the party?” And if the answer is “Uh…I dunno”, then that ingredient does not belong in guacamole.

Here endeth the lesson.

That’s why you seed and chop them. Only add the flesh, not the gunk.

Cilantro makes more sense doesn’t it? I’ve been adding cumin the last few years and I really like it.

I’m lazy.

1 cup Fresh pico de gallo from the deli.
2 avocados

drain and press the pico to get extra juice out, mush avocados, stir together.

Never heard of mayo or sour cream in guacamole.

More often than not, I just eat the avocados right out of the half-shell with salt and pepper, though.

I like cumin, too, but for me guacamole calls out for fresh, lively, “green” flavors, and cumin is more of a dark, earthy flavor to me, something I associate with “cooked” rather than “fresh.”

I am surprised to see so many recipes that don’t have much in the way of spiciness. A little bit of salsa doesn’t go a long way. I generally dice and seed a roma tomato and a couple of jalapenos or roasted green chile if I have it and some onion. All the additions need to be diced pretty fine or it detracts from the smoothness of the guacamole.

As for the mayo or sour cream, I don’t usually do that but guacamole made with them is darn tasty. There is room for both chocolate and vanilla in the world.

Well, the world has room for more than one flavor on a chip. Personally, I prefer my salsa hot and my guac cool, so I can go back and forth between the two.

Speaking of chips…what’s your preferred vehicle for guacamole conveyance? I usually get the fresh made chips from my local take-away, but I have to admit that those Hint of Lime chips from the store *are *very tasty with guacamole.

Hint of Lime are great, but they’re too tasty and sneaky - suddenly I’ve had a thousand calories of fake lime seasoned chips! I like Trader Joe’s blue corn baked chips. Considerably healthier than store ones and it’s hard to eat too many. I’m feeling naughty (or having friends over) I’ll pick up chips from a small burrito joint that makes 'em fresh daily.

For regular guacamole, beef taquitos.

For jalapeño-packed guacamole, in a carnitas taco. (Just deadpiggy, guac, and two warm, soft corn tortillas.)

That sounds about like the way I do it. I also prefer my humus to retain the taste of the chick peas. I thus always hate both of the store-packaged versions. (Although my favorite Mexican restaurant does an amazing job with the guac.)

Also, done right, I will put guac on nearly everything.

That’s pretty much my recipe, although it’s not so much lime juice that it’s noticeably limey, and I add some tomatoes too. There should be enough salt that it’s very slightly salty as well.

Serranos work better than jalapenos- they’re more neutral.

Guacamole without onions or peppers is just avocado mush, and adding mayonnaise just sounds weird.

And guacamole is absolutely NOT smooth. It’s a lumpy mixture of all the veggies and avocados. The usual procedure is to chop the avocados roughly, and throw everything in a bowl (or molcajete) and mash it with a potato masher or the rock-masher that comes with a molcajete, making sure to leave it a little lumpy.

Nobody else here uses a little sprinkle of bacon salt?

Fresh, raw jalapeños? Or the pickled ones from the jar?