I'm looking for a good guacamole recipe

It’s that weekend again and I’ve decided to break down and spend the big bucks on avacados. Please help me make some wonderful green stuff.

Rico is a gringo. He won’t eat anything very spicy and all the recipes I’ve looked at online have things in them that he won’t eat.

I’ve been looking for clam dip too but can’t find any.

What’s up with that?!?!?!?!?!?!? :confused:

I can’t believe there isn’t a store in Los Angeles that doesn’t stock it.

Thanks in advance! :slight_smile:

GO RAIDERS

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Clam Dip

1 8 oz package cream cheese, softened
1 can chopped clams
1/2 cup finely diced onion
1 t. Tabasco, or to taste
1 T. Worcestershire Sauce
1 T. Mustard
Salt & Pepper

This recipe was from Athena in this thread.

You don’t mention what the things are he wants to avoid in the guacamole, but hopefully the following recipe looks inviting:

Guacamole
1 large avocado
1 small tomato
1 small onion
1 clove garlic - optional
Few sprigs fresh cilantro, chopped
Dash lemon juice (so it doesn’t turn brown)
Salt & pepper to taste

Chop the garlic, onion and tomato finely. Remove tomato seeds if so desired.

In a bowl, chunk the avocado then smush with a fork to desired consistancy (I like mine fairly chunky). Add onions, tomato and garlic. Mix

Add salt and pepper to taste (I use Nature’s Seasoning which has several herbs in it as well).

Enjoy :slight_smile:

For a smoother texture, you can also add a few tablespoons of sour cream, and blitz the guacamole before serving.

For me, guacamole should be:

Avocados, as many as you got, mashed
Garlic, minced
Fresh lime juice, lots of it
Salt

Anything else is adulteration and unwelcome.

Add these things to taste. I’d do about two cloves of minced garlic per avocado, and then add in the lime juice until it’s nice and tart, and then add in a little bit of salt (since you’ll be eating the guac with other salty things, better too little salt than too much).

You can do without the garlic if the man is a total wuss, but hopefully you won’t have to.

Daniel

Real non-gringoized guacamole consists of mashed avocados, chopped onions, chopped tomatos and chopped fresh green chilis (serranos IMO are the best here) and fresh lime juice. Salt to taste. Some use cilantro and a little queso seco crumbled on top makes a nice touch. A very simple dish.

I’ll probably catch hell for this from the guacomole purist patrol, but an easy way to make tasty guac is to simply add your favorite salsa to the fork smooshed avacado. A bit more garlic powder can be added if desired…

Let the bashing begin!

If yer gonna throw avacados, at least make em the ripe ones!

Guacamole:

1 avacado
salt
pepper
tobasco
salsa – very small mount
minced onion
lemon juice
Worschester sauce

Washte has the traditional guacamole recipe I grew up with. However, instead of lemon juice, we would use lime. The chilis are optional. I also tend to use red onions rather than white or yellow onions for color and a mildly sweeter flavor. However, the sour cream is anathema to the purist. I say, from there do what you think tastes best. Sour cream will make it lighter and give it more of yogurty texture and taste. Personally I don’t like that but the people around here seem to like it.

Aye, I’m not keen on adding sour cream. Red onion are best - also adds a bit of colour - apologies for not being specific. Lime would be good as well. Dad and I ate lemons all the time so one was always handy.

A place I used to work used shallots instead of garlic or onions. We’d mince them and then nuke them for a minute or so to mellow the flavor before we mixed them in. Tastes great.

Yum, guacamole. . . .
4 RIPE avocados (chop three and mash one)
1 small tomato, chopped
1/2 small onion, chopped
1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped
lemon juice
garlic salt

Mix first four ingredients together. Liberally add lemon juice. Add garlic salt to taste. Preferably let set one hour to allow flavors to meld together. :stuck_out_tongue:

Thank you Thank you Thank you

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I appreciate all your suggestions. Rico and I have decided to try Washte’s and Miss Xanax’s suggestions this Sunday. Also, thank you very much for the Clam Dip too Washte. I’ll be trying it Sunday as well.

If anyone else any good ideas I’d love to have them. I’ll hang on to them for a later date.

Rico won’t do anything like chilis, Tabasco or Worschester sauces.

What is queso seco? I don’t remember as much Spanish as I need to living here again, but seems to me like queso is cheese, isn’t it :confused:
Weeeeeeeee

I’m so excited! The only part about the Super Bowl I don’t like is the end of football season :frowning:

Avocados
Minced garlic
Lime juice
Coriander
Cumin
Salt
Cayanne pepper (you can leave this out, of course)

Tiny tiny tiny amounts (like half a teaspoon) of very very finely chopped tomato and onion can be added, but aren’t really needed.

I’m in the “mash avocados, add salsa to taste” camp. It’s SIMPLE. But no sour cream, please.

And a super-secret avocado tip, straight from California, where we know our 'cados: the easiest and most fun way to peel an avocado is to take half an avocado (presumably you have already halved it and removed the pit), gently work your thumb into the narrow end, and push gently. The peel will come off
in one big piece.
And to get the pit out: embed knife blade in pit, twist knife.

(Disclaimer: works for me, YMMV. Do not hurt yourself with the knife.)

3-4 avocados – mashed
3 tbsp onion – chopped
2 Chile Serranos – roll first to loosen seeds, cut open, clean out seeds and chop finely
½ lime for it’s juice (preferably the smaller limes you’d find in Mexico)
½ tbsp oregano or cilantro
salt to taste

Mix well, chill. Leave the seeds in the mixture.

I received this recipe from Estella, a wonderful cook in Puerto Vallerta, Mexico. My sister-in-law, who speaks good Spanish, was able to communicate with her to get this recipe during a family trip.

Now, if only I could get the Tortilla Soup recipe from Estella, I would be in heaven!