How do you not be such a cynical bastard?

This thread about the recent flash mob proposal at a Home Depot did not really make me feel warm and/or fuzzy. I thought it was kinda cute at first but then with the multiple camera angles and the boom mic it just felt corny and false. I guess I would prefer my intimate moments to be intimate and not subject to 10,000,000 hits on YouTube.

How do you just enjoy something for what it is without thinking everything is absurd?:dubious:

What are you too cynical to enjoy? The video? The idea that you might have been innocently among the mod that got filmed?

Do you think there is something wrong with you when you don’t enjoy a video that other people seem to like?

Maybe everything about it WAS absurd. Ne, I’m too cynical to watch it, and it doesn’t bother me to be so cynical.

I enjoy being a cynical bastard. I’m rarely disappointed and every now and then I’m pleasantly surprised.

Points at handle

I’m a cynical romantic. I operate on cynical assumptions: people are out for themselves, they’re going to screw things up at pretty much every opportunity, and so forth. When I’m right, well, I’m right, and I’m prepared. However, when people rise above my expectations–and they do, quite often, because surprisingly many people are surprisingly awesome–I take satisfaction and even outright delight in it.

Here are some rules to live by if you want to try it my way:

1. Let go of your attachment to being right. When something happens that’s better than your cynical expectation, embrace your wrongness. It’s a good thing to be wrong sometimes.

2. If something that does no harm makes people happy, it produces an increase in the net happiness in the world. Even if it’s corny or silly, it’s a win. Try to enjoy their happiness, even if you don’t enjoy the event itself.

3. A lesser known corollary to the Greater Internet Fuckwad Theory is this: The relative anonymity of the internet can free you to show your softer side as well. On the internet, no one knows or cares about your cynical in-the-flesh persona. No matter how tough or cynical you are, it’s okay to like cute kittens and pastel ponies on the internet.

4. It’s okay to not like things, but don’t be a dick about it.

Bolding mine. Exactly.

I’ll stop being cynical when everything doesn’t suck.

90% of everything sucks.

Make sure you’re prepared to enjoy the other 10%.

Saw that coming a mile away. :rolleyes:

:smiley:

This! There are styles of music I don’t like. Some, I really really hate. Listening to them makes my jaw hurt from clenching my teeth. But… So what? If there’s a Cave Society thread about that kind of music, do I jump in, solely to say, “God, I hate that kind of music?” Of course not! If other people like it, that’s enough: that justifies its existence. I just put on my Vivaldi and zone.

Gene Roddenberry, in Star Trek, tried to approach this with IDIC, Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations. Maybe someone will do a “Jazz Vivaldi” album, and, who knows, I might like it!

People spend so much time being dicks… It’s worth celebrating, any time they aren’t!

ETA: On a hunch, I searched. I love the information age!

Being cynical feels kind of smart, but it also cheapens life. Moreover, feeling smart isn’t all that great, either.

Nothing tops heartwarming. Last Wednesday evening, for example, was so heartwarming I think I could remember it on my deathbed and go out happy, no matter what else happens.

I dunno. If it’s something that makes no difference to me, I don’t worry about it. If I watch a marriage proposal video, even if I think the song was schlocky or the choreography lackluster or the cameras making it seem impersonal, it’s not mine and my opinion doesn’t matter. I enjoy it solely for the fact that the people involved enjoy it.