How do you read 'pwned?'

I had to look this up on Urban Dictionary to even know what you guys were talking about. Consider my ignorance fought. Or added to. :rolleyes:

Another vote for “poned”, and I do use it in spoken conversation.

As for it “not being the correct word” … shockingly, slang words are constantly appearing and gaining popularity, regardless of who frowns upon them. Doesn’t that just make your monocle fall into your tea? Pwned has a meaning similar to the gaming slang use of “owned”, from which it sprouted. It’s a very useful word.

I suppose I’m just illiterate, though. My PhD advisor will be so disappointed in me.

Right above roflmao.
[sub]Do dooo do do do…[/sub]

Another notch on the “rhymes with owned” stump.

My monocle stays firmly in place when I see pwned being used on the internet, and even when it’s being used in real life. However, the tendency for verbs like “google” making their way into the dictionary does make me fear for the day when teh interwebs words will pwn all teh unl33t ones. Or, worse, be usable in Scrabble.

I was told in no uncertain terms by a whippersnapper that is pronounced ‘owned’.

No uncertain terms…very opinionated and sure of himself whippersnapper he was…

It comes from a mis-typing of “owned,” as in “I own your ass.” Usually it either means “I beat you,” or “someone got hurt and I think it’s funny.”

How is it useful? “Owned” works perfectly well. “Pwned” seems to be gibberish to me.

Care to defend your statement that it’s useful?

Just an internet meme spawned off of a misspelling. Like Gotcha Ya and Og here on the Dope.

It’s not “Pwned”, it’s “pwned”…it’s “owned”, with blood dripping down off the o. If you capitalize it, it doesn’t work. It means “I just beat (owned) you so badly that you’re a bloody pulp.” You do pronounce the p, however, so i’ts “powned”

I’d say the fact that it is used is poof positive that it is, in fact, useful.

I never though of it any other way than “pawned”. I thought it was some weird chess reference but too esoteric and idiotic to actually look up the origin.

Pawned at first, then powned.

Maybe I’m wierd, but I pronounce it rhyming with “phoned,” but with a glottal stop before the ‘O’ sound.

P’owned.

I always thought the p was silent (like in psychology), and imagined it sounded like “owned,” but with the inflection you would use if you were saying “owned … DUDE.”

I see I have failed the internet yet again.

My younger cousins pronounce it as “powned.” It’s their favorite word.

It’s “pwned”, rhymes with “phoned” or “owned”, as stated. Phonetically: “poaned”

Superseded by “wtfpwned”, a truly glorious word.

I’m aware of the derivation, but it still comes out as “pawned” in my head. I find “powned” too hard to pronounce.

If I ever use it again(doubtful), maybe I’ll come around. In the meantime, I don’t like to see it in print. It seems like one more thing that’s mis-spelled or just plain WRONG.

It’s definitely “owned” with a “p” at the front --> “powned”

Don’t forget LOLerskates!

I’ll fess up: you are not alone, Earl Snake-Hips Tucker.
I, too, hear it in my head as “pooned.” I don’t know why; that’s just how it struck me early on before I bothered to look up the origin.