How do YOU say '&'?

Do you say ‘and’ or ‘en’ or ‘n’?

The internet is not being very forthcoming.

“and”

“Ampersand” is a contraction of “and per se and”.

If I’m reading (out loud or in my head) it’s ‘and’, the character, as THK just said, is an ampersand.

I’m not sure what the other options would be.

I sometimes would say ‘en’ or ‘n’ or ‘an’. I was trying to find online if that was a regional accent thing.

TG&Y was a five and dime store based in Oklahoma and I think everyone would pronounce it very quickly. It sounds odd to my ears to say “Tee, Gee, and Y” rather than “Teegee n Y”

But " " is pronounced “and nubblespace.”

What I think is “and”. What I’m more likely to actually vocalize is “in”, meaning “n”. My vocalization begins before my tongue is in the right place for the “n”, so it adds a short vowel sound in there, and it sounds like “in”. It’s definitely not the same vowel sound that begins “and” in my dialect.

Mac -n- Cheese

Peanut butter -n- jelly

Would people that say en or n or an in place of and also say it if ‘and’ was in that same spot as well?

For example in the brand Dolce & Gabbana, many people say Dolce n Gabbana (or Dolce an Gabbana or D an B etc), but if it was written as Dolce and Gabbana or D and B, would they say it any different? Would the enunciate the word ‘and’ any differently?

I think most people just mumble past the word and, it’s not that they’re pronouncing & and ‘and’ differently, you’ve just got some confirmation bias going on.

An ampersand (&) stands for the word “and.” That’s pronounced “and,” “an,” or “n” depending on phonetic context and regional variations. But it represents the word “and.”

Those have nothing to do with ampersands. It’s just a slovening pronunciation of common phrases that have become, in a sense, words. You wouldn’t say “bushes -n- gravel” because those are three separate words which need articulation to be understood as such.

Ampersands are a writing convenience. Different.

I had (have) no idea that the OP was asking about a difference in pronunciation between the & and the “and”. That was brought in later, by another poster.

If that is indeed what the OP was getting at, then no, I don’t pronounce Mac & Cheese and differently from Mac and Cheese in everyday speech.

I pronounce it ampersand period That apostrophe s the way I pronounce all punctuation comma doesn apostrophe t everyone question mark

I read it exactly as I would ‘and’ in the same sentence (since that is what it is, and all)…which, depending on a bunch of factors could be either ‘and’, ‘an’, or ‘nn’.

Of course, if it’s written in this font :

&

it looks more like “Et” than “And”.
In French we pronounce the ampersand as “et” when it appears in French text (which is pretty rare). However, if it’s part of an English name or phrase (“Earth, Wind & Fire”, “Dunn & Bradstreet”) it’s usually pronounced “and”.

And when it’s written like this “&” it looks like a guy dragging his butt across the floor.

Heh, never noticed that before.

I did.

It’s a sorta-cursive or sorta-reverse-italic version of the handicapped icon http://www.clipartbest.com/cliparts/McL/g9r/McLg9rKca.svg

Another vote that & is pronounced exactly like “and”. Which may be pronounced “and” “an”, or schwa-n depending on the rest of the circumstances.

The & is an abbreviation for “et” and depending on the font it can look that way. It is an ampersand. The “et” is Latin for “and.” When reading aloud it would be normal to say “and” unless you were talking about the ampersand or “and sign” itself.

I have heard it mispronounced as “andpersand” by those who ought to know better, but they were talking about the character and not the word it’s a stand-in for.

Try spelling P&er next time you want to refer to P&er Paul & Mary. :smiley:

I did a small poll a work. Everyone (Including a woman from Philly) pronounced TG&Y as “Tee, Gee, en (or n), Y”