How do you shut down a spazzy Beagle

My BF has a Beagle that is just over a year old. The dog will not be still or quiet. Ever. It runs around in circles, attacks me and my chilren, barks and howls at all hours of the morning, and is generally unruly. Does anyone have any suggestions for quickly settling this dog down? ;j

Bumpin this just this one time.

I’m sorry. Very sorry Reversecowgirl. Beagles are the devils answer to animals with ADHD. My neighbor has a beagle, their house is 500 yards from mine and I’ve gotten my gun out, I’ve trained my dog to want to kill anything that makes THAT unruly noise…and yet I’ve never acted upon it. Please for the love of God: ask your BF to trade said beagle in for a nice Lab, or mixed breed.
Serious answer to the OP:

The jumping and general unruly behavior can be trained out of the dog with the right mix of obedience training and effort on you and your BF’s part. The barking? I have never known a beagle, no matter what age to not bark terribly loud and for agonizingly long periods of time.

Maybe I should just trade in the BF for a guy with fish?

Send it to mars?

You might try switching it from puppy chow to adult dogfood, if you haven’t yet. Puppy food is high calorie and it sounds like the beagle has too much energy. Otherwise, reduce the amount of food the dog is getting. Beagles can easily overeat and become overweight as they get older. Be sure not to starve the dog, though.

Also, beagles are extremely social. They really crave attention. Give it lots of attention and positive reinforcement when it behaves well. Try to give it less attention when its misbehaving. Humans sometimes accidently reinforce bad behavior by chasing and shouting at a misbehaving dog. The dog probably loves all that extra attention. Instead, give the beagle a “time-out” when it misbehaves. Being in a cage in a dark room for fifteen minutes can do wonders. Don’t isolate the dog for long periods of time; that’s just as bad.

Thanks Pleo, this is a very helpful tip.

I own a basenji, which is possibly even more hyper than beagles.

Anyway, give your beagle time. If they’re like basenjis, they usually mellow out a bit after they’re around two years old. My basenji is four, and he’s much mellower than he was when he was a puppy. Still has his hyper streaks, but they’re not as bad as when he was younger.

How much exercise does the doggie get? Does your BF have a fenced in yard where you can throw a ball or something for him? Does he go for walks every day? I have dog that is a Jack Russell mix, and if we go for a couple of days without a walk, he’s a basket case. I try to walk him twice a day, and I make sure he gets some yard time as well. A tired dog is a good dog!

Are beagles naturally stupid? My daughter has a beagle pup and that is the stupidest animal I’ve ever seen. When he comes over, heads to our cap pan and gets himself a nice chewy cat turd. He tangles himself up in his leash constantly and walks into the patio door. He’s as hyper as all getout and I don’t think the little fool is ever going to get fully potty trained. Why do people buy these wastes of fur?

Pretty much, yes. They are adorable, so that’s what gets folks to buy them, but I have not met one beagle owner who didn’t think their dog was an idiot. :smiley:

I would say the dog definitely needs training and lots of exercise. Jeevpup gets one walk and two trips a day to the dog park, plus agility classes and the occasional daycare. It has calmed him down a lot (he’s terrier/lab, so could give beagles a run in energy!)

I just want to add:

Exercise, exercise, exercise. Beagles are very hearty and are bred for sport. A lot of undesirable, spastic behaviors will subside if the dog is exercised. It just makes sense.

And if the beagle attacking you and your children, that means that *both * you and the kids need to take turns training the dog, as well as your BF. This will bond the dog to you and establish dominance. You can start by taking the dog out on walks as often as you can, with a firm hand on the leash when working on basic commands (like heel, stay, come, sit). And don’t forget to give lots of praises, or even a treat, if the dog does what you want him to.

A friend of mine has two beagles; both are very loving, but very stubborn and loud. She’s put them in time out and has used a muzzle on them all night, which I think is pretty extreme. It’s not recommended to be used for more than a little while. I think, though, exercise actually helps with incessant baying.

Important tip though: If the dog is crate trained, do not put it in the crate to punish it. It will start to get negative associations with the crate, and will freak if it has to go in there.

Beagles are big piles of energy. Cute as anything, but very energetic.

I would have to agree with you there. I inherited a beagle pup and I promised not to get rid of it. The stupidiest dog I have ever seen and always in desperate need of attention. I thought the same thing for potty training. It took awhile to get him trained. After awhile of postive reinforcement and snapped one early morning and after screaming, a good smack, and a nose rubbing no more problems!

I used to have a beagle and yes he did have energy - but he wasn’t stupid, in fact he was quite smart.

We went to behavioural training (rather than obedience training) and he was as smart as any of the retrievers or labs (just maybe a little more spirited). He learned faster than many of the dogs there.

When he was little, we did all the alpha dog exercises (eg alpha rolls) to reinforce his position in the house - so growling and nipping was never an issue. As well, we did exercises when we took his food away while eating (briefly) or put our hands into it (kibble that is) - also part of the training to assert that we were alphas. Also, we fed him after we ate (once again - reinforcing that he wasn’t the alpha). If your BF’s dog is attacking, perhaps he is trying to make his position in the household hierarchy.

He was crate trained - so he never had free run during our absence and dogs generally don’t like to mess in their crates. Crate training made it quite easy to potty train him. When he was little, he wasn’t much of a barker - so we trained him to shake a rope with bells on it when he wanted out.

He did have a bad habit of jumping up when people came over but the way we worked on that is that you don’t reward that behaviour by touching him (ie pushing him away can be perceived as a reward) … you ignore him or you put them in a time out. Also, if you are playing with him and he gets too rough, you also put them in a time out.

His worst habit was that he didn’t like to heel well but I excused that behaviour often , understanding that he was a scent hound and really really wanted to follow his nose - hey it was what he was bred to do. He learned new tricks quickly (he would play dead when I made a gun with my fingers and said ‘bang’). I did daily training with him (he enjoyed the attention, like the rewards (especially food) etc). I also was working on scent training with him (not to hunt but just because he loved using his nose).

Beagles are stubborn. They love food (we quickly learned that he was a good jumper and to keep things far out of his reach … a little beagle looks quite rotund after eating an entire loaf of bread). If there is a smell distracting them, they won’t always obey quickly. And I would rarely rarely let him off leash in a field for those reasons.

He would quiet down nicely and often have naps on top of me, snuggled in under my chin (until the cat wanted that spot). At bed time, he knew the routineand would go into his crate willingly and spend the night there peacefully.

I’m sure there are some exceptions - but I really believe that a well trained dog who know he’s not an alpha is a better pet.

An ex-GF has a beagle. When it was a pup, it barked or bayed constantly, especially when left alone. The GF lived in an apartment at the time, and the neighbors complained. It got to the point where she either solved the noise problem or got evicted. (I was in a high rise condo at the time that didn’t allow pets, so that wasn’t an alternative.)

She tried everything. I tried everything. The only thing that finally worked was an electric bark collar. (For those that aren’t familiar with these: they are battery powered collars that give a mild to medium shock if the dog barks)

We were somewhat reluctant, but it was either that or give up the dog. Worked right away. After a little while, we turned off the collar, as we had no problem with normal levels of barking.

We have a beagle/shepherd mix. While not dumb as anything, she ain’t that smart. She has trained reasonably well – she responds to food unlike any other animal I have ever seen. Think crack-addicted pirahna. She can do all manner of tricks, although she is still naughty as hell – when she gets out, she will not come back in for anything (except of course food) and will immediately dive in the freshest poop she can find. It was necessary to do some serious obedience training at first and not waver on it. After I have established myself as the alpha, she defers to me. But she is very scared of me (even though we rarely hit her, we yelled at her a lot when she was small – she is also the biggest chicken of an animal imagineable), and her first instinct is to run away whenever I try to give her a command not involving food.

The big problem is she has always been recalcitrant about going nuts for about 3 minutes after we first get home. There has been no way of stopping her from barking and jumping around. This is pretty tolerable for us (but not for guests and we have to be careful), but now my wife is very pregnant and it needs to stop before she pops out the kid. So we have bought an anti-bark collar which administers electric shocks. It isn’t fun (she hates it of course), but it seems to be working like a charm. I wouldn’t recommend it as a first strategy, but it has calmed her down a lot. As soon as it is on, she doesn’t bark, and over the last few weeks, her barking without it on has been markedly reduced as well.

Has anyone heard about a new type of collar that sprays a bit of citronella when a dog starts to bark? The citronella is harmless but is supposed to stop the pooch from barking by distracting it. Since dogs are so scent-oriented, I can sort of understand that. I think it was Marc Marrone who recommended it. The (big)drawback is that it costs $250.

I’m a big fan of behavioral training since I saw what a huge difference it made with my neighbor’s Jack Russel. When I first moved here, Zoey was the most territorial and aggressive dog I’d ever met. And I used to do dog grooming for a living! Beth was forever afraid of Zoey getting off her leash and going after someone. Finally, she took her to a trainer and you wouldn’t believe the change after just one visit! I remember, shortly thereafter, there were several of us neighbors up on the patio and we all went over to one area to look at something and here was Zoey winding around amongst our legs perfectly happy and without a care in the world!

Consider asking your vet or even a local beagle owners association for the name of a good trainer. It’ll be money very well spent!

I like my beagles toasted with real butter and cream cheese.

What?

Oh…never mind.

:rolleyes:

A treadmill or a squirrel cage for reduction of the ADHD.

A barking retrainer available on the web emits a tone, inaudible to humans, every time the dog barks. The tone annoys the dog who stops, the tone stops, and at the next bark the cycle repeats. The dog quickly learns to be quiet anywhere near the device.