Subdue a snappy dog

My GF has a beagle basset mix thing of a dog. Its not a bad dog per say but it has a habit of snapping at us. This usually happens when she has something in her mouth that she shouldn’t or when trying to move her off the couch. I realize that this dog was not raised with the proper discipline but that was out of my control. Ive stood my ground a few times with her and even let her bite me a couple of the times. She’s a 35lb dog so the bite wasn’t too bad but she did draw a bit of blood. I usually grab her by the scruff of her neck and yell “NO!”. Well, this doesn’t seem to be working. Any other ideas?

Hmmm. I’d start by saying I would never intentionally let a dog bite me, it gives the dog the wrong impression of what a human hand is for. All jokes aside, the dog is in some need of simple obedience training. If you cannot afford it, I would start in the back yard. Away from where the dog sleeps or eats [couch or kitchen]. Basic obedience means obeying commands by the humans who are owned by the dog. If you want to try Cesar Melan’s style of being the alpha, that will require a different type of obedience. Sufficed to say, I would do a solid 30 min. of obedience a day for two weeks with both you and your SO. This will give the dog some attention, and allow for he or she to learn who is acting like the best boss.
Obedience training is easy, you give simple commands and reward with treats. See here for a detailed list.

Seconded. You have to remember with a dog, no matter what you do, you are training the dog. What you have been doing is training the dog that there’s a game that starts with the dog biting you, then getting a quick neck rub followed by a trip to the floor. This is completely inappropriate.

The critical commands you need to teach this dog at this time are “drop it” and “leave it” (there are variations on what the commands might be called). “Drop it” is the command for the dog to let go of something he has in his mouth. This is useful in that it keeps you from having to go in after it. “Leave it” is the command for the dog not to pick the thing up in the first place (or again after “drop it”). IIRC, you practice “leave it” first, with a toy or something on the floor that you want the dog to ignore. After the dog is proficient at that, you move on to “drop it,” where you let the dog pick the item up (you can hand it to the dog to avoid confusion), but then require him to relinquish it on command.

I never “intentionally” let the dog bite me. What I meant was that I didn’t back down from the dog even when I figured she would bite me. The “drop it” “leave it” method sounds appropriate.

Easy. Just take away her spats and straw boater.